Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Berg, Philip" <pc...@indiana.edu> on 2002/11/12 18:02:24 UTC

keep-with-next and small-caps

I have two problems:

I'm trying to keep multiple rows together, like so:
  <fo:table-row keep-with-next="always">
    [... cells ...]
  </fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-row keep-with-next="always">
    [... cells ...]
  </fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-row>
    [... cells ...]
  </fo:table-row>
That doesn't seem to keep it together though (no changed behavior). I
looked at xsl:fo tutorials and this mailing list's history and it seemed
to me the above should work. I'm using fop-0.20.4. Any
alternatives/suggestions?

I was using font-variant="small-caps" in a table-header. That was
working just perfect if this table only was one page. The header was
also present on consecutive pages but the small-caps was gone (it was
just normal font-variant). Why is that? In particular I'm very confused
by that because I thought fop only evaluates the header once (I verified
that with debug messages). So how can the header then be different for
tables that span multiple pages?

The above seemed fop issues to me (limitations?), so I hope I'm at the
right place. If not let me know and I guess I'll seek an xsl-fo mailing
list.

thanks,
Philip

Re: keep-with-next and small-caps

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Berg, Philip wrote:
> I'm trying to keep multiple rows together, like so:
>   <fo:table-row keep-with-next="always">
>     [… cells …]
>   </fo:table-row>
>   <fo:table-row keep-with-next="always">
>     [… cells …]
>   </fo:table-row>
>   <fo:table-row>
>     [… cells …]
>   </fo:table-row>
> That doesn't seem to keep it together though (no changed behavior). I looked at xsl:fo tutorials and this mailing list's history and it seemed to me the above should work. I'm using fop-0.20.4. Any alternatives/suggestions?
It works fine for me. Chances are you misunderstood the semantics a little
bit. keep-with-next constraint means that last area generated by the object
shouldn't be a trailing one within a context (page, column, line), therefore
the only a situation when your table-row ends up and there is no areas after
it on the page considered to be not satisfying the constraints. I mean if your
row starts on 1 page and ends on 2 one then next row should be started
immidiately  after it on 2 page and the condition is satisfied.

> I was using font-variant="small-caps" in a table-header. That was working just perfect if this table only was one page. The header was also present on consecutive pages but the small-caps was gone (it was just normal font-variant). Why is that? In particular I'm very confused by that because I thought fop only evaluates the header once (I verified that with debug messages). So how can the header then be different for tables that span multiple pages?
>
> The above seemed fop issues to me (limitations?), so I hope I'm at the right place. If not let me know and I guess I'll seek an xsl-fo mailing list.
Hmmm, looks like a bug, file it to bugzilla.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
eXperanto team