Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by ko...@inventivedesigners.com on 2002/08/01 08:44:54 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization

I second that. IMHO, the 'interactive' build is a good start, but it is not
nearly interactive enough. It would be great if the user could answer
simple yes/no questions to select the components they want and maybe even
preconfigure a few (such as database connections).
I'd implement it myself, if only I had the time :-(

Koen.

                    "Andrew C.
                    Oliver"              To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
                    <acoliver@apa        cc:
                    che.org>             Subject:     Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization

                    31-07-02
                    21:01
                    Please
                    respond to
                    cocoon-dev

This sounds like it could be an undue burden on the users.  I think what
really needs to be done
is an improvement in the build system.  Something more aken to the Linux
"MenuConfig" or "XConfig"
rather than try and break the project up at this point.

I think what will probably happen is it will become a tremendous pain
for users to get it all
working together.  And eventually there will be "distributions" of
sorts.  If you're sure thats
what you really want.... Thats fine, but plan the distributions up front
instead of having those
years of meandering that Linux et al had when it was a royal pain to set
up (pre-REAL distributions).  The only way it
was secure was that no script kiddies could run it either ;-)

If Cocoon wants to do the same. Avalon is a bad pattern to follow as no
one outside of avalon understands the various
pieces either.

-Andy