Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Frederic MERCEUR <Fr...@ifremer.fr> on 2016/10/14 09:48:25 UTC

How to boost a field copied in the Text Field

Hello,

we use Solr to describe datasets with several metadata (title, authors,
description, etc). We copy all these metadata in the Text field to offer
a default search to our end-users so they can make a search on all
metadata in one search :

<field name="idx_title" type="text_simple" indexed="true" stored="true"
multiValued="true" required="true"/>
<field name="idx_abstract" type="text_general" indexed="true"
stored="true" multiValued="true"/>

<copyField source="idx_title" dest="text"/>
<copyField source="idx_abstract" dest="text"/>

We can then query the default Text field in this way :

http://solr[...]/select?q=fish

Is there a way to boost the Title field copied in the Text Field ? So
the dataset that contain the word  "fish" in their title will be
displayed first ?

I have find some information about the boost option in Solr but I cant'
find if it is possible to boost a field copied in the Text field ?

Thanks,
Fred

--
Fred Merceur
http://annuaire.ifremer.fr/cv/16828/

Re: How to boost a field copied in the Text Field

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
The second you copy a bunch of things into one field, it becomes very
hard to have a useful relevancy. Especially, since they are now parsed
according to that target field's analyzer chain and your original
field's chains become irrelevant.

There was somewhere an article on using payloads for boost, but it was
more a bit of a hack.

Instead, look at eDismax as you can specify the list of fields you
want to search and assign the individual boosts to them, just as you
requested.

Regards,
   Alex.
----
Solr Example reading group is starting November 2016, join us at
http://j.mp/SolrERG
http://www.solr-start.com/