Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2015/01/13 00:02:29 UTC

ApacheCon papers?

I noticed that the ApacheCon site seems to have downloads of slide decks.

I have a friend that did "A year without Powerpoint(tm)".  That is, he
provided more detail in the takeaway documents.  I find that the slides
from a slide show are worthless after a couple of hours, that I don't
recall the detail I need.  However, a document that contains the basic
synopsis of the idea, the work done to prove/disporve viability, contact
info and URIs is much valuable.

Would ApacheCon place other speaker provided documents on the donwload site
in additon to the slide deck?

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 01/13/2015 04:44 AM, Rob Vesse wrote:
> Claude
>
> It is worth noting that ApacheCon talks are audio recorded (and some video
> recorded) and they eventually make their way up onto YouTube as and when
> the volunteers involved have time to process all the recordings
>
> https://www.youtube.com/user/TheApacheFoundation?spfreload=10

Unfortunately *not* the case for Budapest. :(  This would be a wonderful
place for a sponsor to step up for Austin, but in Budapest we simply
didn't have the budget for it.

--Rich

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Claude

RE: ApacheCon papers?

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
Kinda like a book, right?

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 01/12/2015 06:02 PM, Claude Warren wrote:
> I noticed that the ApacheCon site seems to have downloads of slide decks.
>
> I have a friend that did "A year without Powerpoint(tm)".  That is, he
> provided more detail in the takeaway documents.  I find that the slides
> from a slide show are worthless after a couple of hours, that I don't
> recall the detail I need.  However, a document that contains the basic
> synopsis of the idea, the work done to prove/disporve viability, contact
> info and URIs is much valuable.
>
> Would ApacheCon place other speaker provided documents on the donwload site
> in additon to the slide deck?

That would, indeed, be awesome, if we could persuade even a small number
of the speakers to provide this kind of a writeup. I know that for
myself, my slides are cue cards - that is, they don't contain most of
the useful information, but are just bullets to remind me what I wanted
to say. So, yes, agreed, my slide decks are worthless without the talk
to go along with it.

I will attempt to do what you request, for Austin. But understand, as
Ross points out, that it's amazingly hard getting people just to upload
their slides. Having them write the kind of proceedings you're asking
for is a worthy undertaking, but I don't expect much success.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: ApacheCon papers?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, January 13, 2015, Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> wrote:

> ...Would ApacheCon place other speaker provided documents on the donwload
site
> in additon to the slide deck?...

That might happen but what I usually do is include in my slides links to
more detailed documents, blog posts, reading lists etc.

I agree that just slides is often not enough to get your message through.
That's why I tend to talk during my talks ;-)

-Bertrand