Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2016/07/21 13:26:52 UTC

Update to Apache Felix Http Jetty 3.2.2

Hi,

I just updated our http service implementation to the latest version.
Since version 3.2.0, Apache Felix Http Jetty requires Java 8. I've
brought this up some time ago and consensus on this list was that it's
fine to go with Java 8 for the launchpad.

While doing so, I realized that this change will most likely break our
Java 7 CI builds as these start the launchpad and do integration tests.
Obviously launchpad does not start with Java 7 anymore.

Not sure what to do, disable the jobs?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: Update to Apache Felix Http Jetty 3.2.2

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
> Hi Carsten,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ....I've brought this up some time ago and consensus on this list was that it's
>> fine to go with Java 8 for the launchpad....
>
> For completeness, can you provide a link to that discussion?

Sure:

http://apache-sling.73963.n3.nabble.com/Java-8-for-launchpad-td4060637.html

Carsten

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
> On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 15:26 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just updated our http service implementation to the latest version.
>> Since version 3.2.0, Apache Felix Http Jetty requires Java 8. I've
>> brought this up some time ago and consensus on this list was that
>> it's
>> fine to go with Java 8 for the launchpad.
>>
>> While doing so, I realized that this change will most likely break
>> our
>> Java 7 CI builds as these start the launchpad and do integration
>> tests.
>> Obviously launchpad does not start with Java 7 anymore.
>>
>> Not sure what to do, disable the jobs?
>
> This means that we don't build/test trunk, contrib and samples using
> Java 7. I don't think it's a huge issue. We should make sure that we
> still build contrib and samples with Java 8 though.
>
> If we do decide that we want to stick with building/testing for Java 7,
> we should split the build(s) into two jobs:
>
> - a 'bundles' job which builds, tests and deploys all bundles
> - a 'launchpad' job which builds the launchpad, retrieves the SNAPSHOT
> bundles from nexus if needed and then tests it

While I would like to test at least the bundles with Java 7, I guess we
dont have the bandwidth to change our setup.

Of course, if someone wants to go ahead...

Carsten

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2016-07-21 at 15:26 +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just updated our http service implementation to the latest version.
> Since version 3.2.0, Apache Felix Http Jetty requires Java 8. I've
> brought this up some time ago and consensus on this list was that
> it's
> fine to go with Java 8 for the launchpad.
>
> While doing so, I realized that this change will most likely break
> our
> Java 7 CI builds as these start the launchpad and do integration
> tests.
> Obviously launchpad does not start with Java 7 anymore.
>
> Not sure what to do, disable the jobs?

This means that we don't build/test trunk, contrib and samples using
Java 7. I don't think it's a huge issue. We should make sure that we
still build contrib and samples with Java 8 though.

If we do decide that we want to stick with building/testing for Java 7,
we should split the build(s) into two jobs:

- a 'bundles' job which builds, tests and deploys all bundles
- a 'launchpad' job which builds the launchpad, retrieves the SNAPSHOT
bundles from nexus if needed and then tests it

Robert