Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Rich Johns <rj...@vignette.com> on 2000/07/28 20:49:58 UTC

ibm-soap deployment descriptor

I have a  couple of questions regarding the deployment descriptor in
the ibm-soap-1.2 distribution. I am currently using the ibm distribution,
not the apache. My ultimate goal is to provide soap access to our
ejb layer.

1) I'm assuming this is an implementaion specific xml format, ie., to facilitate
the registering of services. Correct?

2) Why doesn't this format entail each of the method's parameters.? This would
make it possible to query the ServiceManager for a particular service method's
parameters.

3) I would have expected something like this given interface Foo:

interface Foo
{
       public String getName();
       public void setName( String  name );
       public Bar getBar();
       public void setBar( Bar b );
}

<isd:service xmlns:isd="http://www.ibm.com/namespaces/soap/deployment"
      id="urn:Foo">
    <isd:provider type="java" scope="Application"
                  methods="setName getName getBar setBar">
        <isd:java class="com.myco.Foo" static="false"/>
         <isd:method name="setName">
                 <isd:parm name="name">
                      <isd:type name ="String">
                       </isd:type>
                  </isd:parm>
                  <isd:return>
                       <isd:type name="void">
                        </isd:type>
                  <isd:return>
         </isd:method>

      <!-- and so on...

    </isd:provider>
</isd:service>

The parameter of type Bar would appear in the mappings to define a serailizer for
it.

4) Why not have multiple services per deployment descriptor file.

5) Is it true that only parameters that are not primitive, ie., that require a specific
serailizer, are put into the mappings section? As such, when the 'qname' of this
parameter is encountered, it is mapped either to or from xml?

thanks.