Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Ravi Julapalli <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2011/09/06 00:10:19 UTC

STOMP Vs RESTful to consume incoming messages

Hi,
I am working on a new project that requires us to consume incoming messages over ActiveMQ
The application consuming messages is a web app built in PHP.

The recommendation of our solutions architect is to use STOMP for retrieving messages.
I read through docs and understand that ActiveMQ does provide REST interfaces to consume messages.
However I am not fully sure of what advantages REST might have over STOMP and vice versa.

I will greatly appreciate if someone can provide a bit more information for us to be able to make a informed decision.

best regards,
Ravi

Re: STOMP Vs RESTful to consume incoming messages

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.
Hi Ravi,

the general recommendation is Stomp as it's more "messaging-oriented"
protocol than REST. With Stomp you can use all semantics important for
asynchronous messaging like transactions, various types of acknowledgment
modes and such. Also, the protocol is easy enough http-like so there are a
lot of clients for it already in many languages.

Regards
Blog - http://www.nighttale.net