Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2012/05/04 08:19:41 UTC

Tightening up our Wiki

Hi all,

the user wikimouse is using new techniques that makes it more difficult
to keep spam out of the Wiki: he reverts the pages to those that
contained spam once we delete it - this does not send out notification
mails - and uses tinyurl to circumvent the BadContent list.

I suggest we close down Wiki access to the few of us who actually edit
the Wiki from time to time using
<http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot>

I'll ask infra to change the setup in a few days unless anybody stops
me.

Stefan

Re: Tightening up our Wiki

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/5/4 Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> the user wikimouse is using new techniques that makes it more difficult
> to keep spam out of the Wiki: he reverts the pages to those that
> contained spam once we delete it - this does not send out notification
> mails - and uses tinyurl to circumvent the BadContent list.
>
> I suggest we close down Wiki access to the few of us who actually edit
> the Wiki from time to time using
> <http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot>
>
> I'll ask infra to change the setup in a few days unless anybody stops
> me.

Add "tinyurl.com" to the list of spam addresses? We did so in Tomcat a year ago,
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/LocalBadContent

> Still, in Gump's case there only are very few people who ever edit the
> Wiki so the ContributorGroup setup would be a good fit IMHO.

I agree.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tightening up our Wiki

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2012-05-04, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi,

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> the user wikimouse is using new techniques that makes it more difficult
>> to keep spam out of the Wiki: he reverts the pages to those that
>> contained spam once we delete it - this does not send out notification
>> mails - and uses tinyurl to circumvent the BadContent list.

>> I suggest we close down Wiki access to the few of us who actually edit
>> the Wiki from time to time using
>> <http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-
> _tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot>

>> I'll ask infra to change the setup in a few days unless anybody stops
>> me.

> Hmm. Why not have a general security setting to allow reverts only for
> privileged people (i.e. those who can edit BadContent)?

Good question, I'll ask on the infra list whether this is possible.

> Tinyurls: Do we really need those in the wiki? The URL is normally
> hidden in the markup anyway and it does then not matter how long it
> is.

Not sure whether there is a way to prevent this.  We could add tinyurl
ot the BadContent list but I guess there are too many URL shortening
services for us to keep up with.

Re: Tightening up our Wiki

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.
Hi,

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the user wikimouse is using new techniques that makes it more difficult
> to keep spam out of the Wiki: he reverts the pages to those that
> contained spam once we delete it - this does not send out notification
> mails - and uses tinyurl to circumvent the BadContent list.
>
> I suggest we close down Wiki access to the few of us who actually edit
> the Wiki from time to time using
> <http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-
_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot>

> I'll ask infra to change the setup in a few days unless anybody stops
> me.

Hmm. Why not have a general security setting to allow reverts only for
privileged people (i.e. those who can edit BadContent)?

Tinyurls: Do we really need those in the wiki? The URL is normally hidden in
the markup anyway and it does then not matter how long it is.

- Jörg