Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu> on 2020/05/01 04:27:22 UTC

Re: Consumers being created under load

Is this on a standalone broker, or are you running a network of brokers?
Might these consumers be the ones for one broker in a network of brokers to
pull messages from another?

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing the resolution to the problem.

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
If these are consumers on a queue, are they consuming the queue's messages
such that your real consumers don't get all of them? Or are all of the
messages still on the queue despite these consumers having received a
million messages (per your screenshot in your original message)?

How often do these consumers appear, and how long do they last? And by
"load", I assume you mean high CPU? Or do you mean some other measure like
disk or network?

What settings are you using for message expiration? Are you using scheduled
messages? Do you have any embedded Camel routes? Are there any meaningful
advisory messages produced during or immediately after the period of load?

I don't have any good ideas for what these consumers are, so I'm guessing
at things that might possibly make use of a short-lived consumer in the
hopes that one of them turns out to be related to what you're seeing. But
I'm grasping at straws, so this might end with "I have no idea, but maybe
try upgrading to the latest 5.15.x version and see if it's still a problem
there."

The only other thing I notice is that the unexpected consumer uses a
prefetch buffer size of 500 rather than the standard 1000. But I'm not sure
why that value would be used instead of the default.

Tim

Posted by bstrange <bs...@smc3.com>.

Posted by bstrange <bs...@smc3.com>.
It's a standalone broker. We don't have any networked brokers. These
consumers aren't any we created. They're created on their own and go away on
their own.