Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com> on 2002/10/01 07:30:22 UTC

HTTP Status 404

Hello!

I have this file "hello.jsp" located in the ..\webapps\hello.jsp. When I
tried running in my browser like http://localhost:8080/hello.jsp, the
following are displayed in the screen.

Apache Tomcat/4.0.5 - HTTP Status 404 - /hello.jsp

type Status report

message /hello.jsp

description The requested resource (/hello.jsp) is not available.

why is this so? is there some configuration other than bypassing the
proxies set in LAN setting of my browser?...i need your help on this.

r/gli

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <ve...@veldy.net>.
I had this same problem with 4.1.10.  I was only able to get it to run by
stopping and restarting the container -- or deploying my app as a war.

Tom Veldhouse

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.
thanks for the reply

i put the jsp page in this location:

C:\Program files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\webapps\hello.jsp

i've tried requesting http://localhost:8080/ and i got it correctly but
when trying to request that hello.jsp page the error awhile ago is
displayed.

r/gli

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Oh, I think I see what you have done.  You just popped a jsp into the
webapps directory?  Way off, if so.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
This is not just a Tomcat issue, Glinn, but indemic or essential to
servlets and jsp.  I suggest you grab a copy of Jason Hunter's book on
servlets, if you can.  I think it is available on line as well as in paper
back.  You also can get most of the information from various
websites.  Here is one good course:

http://math.hws.edu/javanotes/

The dropping the file you need to create a context like the one that exists
for examples in the server.xml for your application.  Then you need to have
a web.xml file that is configured according to the requirements for
web.xml.  There is not just a little bit to learning how to use containers
like Tomcat successfully.  You are a student?  Who you are and how fast you
have to go is relevant to helping you.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

[OT] Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Where are you Glinn?  It is a 10 hour time difference according to the emails.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.
yes, mic. our isp is located in california. but i'm here right now in
the philippines.

r/glinn

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.
what do you mean mic?..

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
The xml files are used to configure the aspects you will use in tomcat,
like initializing servlets, mapping urls to a controller servlet, security,
etc.  The server.xml is to configure the relations between various parts of
the code running under tomcat, such as applications, databases, etc.  They
are essential knowledge.  You can run some simple stuff without too much
knowledge by sticking with ROOT, but you cannot go far without a lot more
learning.

Re: HTTP Status 404

Posted by Glinn Cortez <gl...@cypress.com>.

Re: HTTP Status 404