Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "I-Everton, Dan" <da...@boeing.com> on 2002/09/12 05:06:20 UTC

[users@httpd] Windows NT 4.0SP6, Apache 2.0.40, mod_ssl fails to start

I'm trying to get Apache 2.0.40 and mod_ssl running on a Windows NT box, but
keep hitting a problem when I enable mod_ssl. I compiled Apache from source
(with the latest version of OpenSSL and zlib) using MSVC++ 6.0 SP5.

The error log says:
[Thu Sep 12 12:50:50 2002] [crit] (32538)Socket operation on non-socket:
Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket 8107008. Check the FAQ.
[Thu Sep 12 12:50:50 2002] [crit] (22817)The system cannot find message for
message number 0x%1  in message file for %2.  : master_main: create child
process failed. Exiting.
[Thu Sep 12 12:50:50 2002] [crit] (22609)The pipe has been ended.  :
setup_inherited_listeners: Unable to read socket data from parent
[Thu Sep 12 12:50:50 2002] [notice] Parent: Forcing termination of child
process 9240664

Now I checked the FAQ entry for WSADuplicateSocket and that didn't provide
any clues since AFAIK there's no LSP on the NT box machine and Aventail
hasn't been anywhere near it.

Note that if I comment out the LoadModule line for mod_ssl, the server
starts up and runs fine.

I tried the exact same binaries on another machine (this time a Windows 2000
SP2 box) and it ran fine with mod_ssl enabled and everything.

So is there some weird interaction between NT and mod_ssl that doesn't
affect Windows 2000? And how do I go about fixing this?

Thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Everton (Engineering Infrastructure Coordinator)
Central Engineering, Boeing Australia Limited