Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jay Chiu <ja...@ureach.com> on 2004/04/01 05:43:47 UTC

How to repeat subtitle onto the following pages

Hi,

I need to generate a report with subtitles and details as table
rows. Each subtitle row may be followed by many detail rows,
which may span multiple pages. But we want to add the same
subtitle on the beginning of the following pages with some
additional text as "Continue..." or even relative page number.

Can someone give me some advice on how to implement this kind of
report?

For example, suppose we have two mutual funds, and each with
many stock/bonds. then the report pages would look like:

Page 1:
    Equity Fund
       stock 1.1 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 1.2 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 1.n | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
Page 2:
    Equity Fund Continue... Page 2
       stock 2.1 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 2.2 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 2.n | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
Page 3:
    Equity Fund Continue... Page 3
       stock 3.1 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 3.2 | price | number_of_shares | total_amount
       stock 3.m | price | number_of_shares | total_amount

    Fixed Income Fund
       bond 1.1 | Price | Yield | total_amount
       bond 1.n | Price | Yield | total_amount

Page 4:
   Fixed Income Fund Continue... Page 2
       bond 2.1 | Price | Yield | total_amount
       bond 2.n | Price | Yield | total_amount

Page 5:
   Fixed Income Fund Continue... Page 3
       bond 3.1 | Price | Yield | total_amount
       bond 3.n | Price | Yield | total_amount

Thanks a lot.

Jay

Re: How to repeat subtitle onto the following pages

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Jay Chiu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to generate a report with subtitles and details as table
> rows. Each subtitle row may be followed by many detail rows,
> which may span multiple pages. But we want to add the same
> subtitle on the beginning of the following pages with some
> additional text as "Continue..." or even relative page number.

This type of document can be very tricky to achieve in XSL-FO. We have been
trying to do sub-totals in statements, a very similar issue.

Forget quoting the number of pages for a subtitle, you wont be able to do that!

One approach that will allow the header to repeat across pages is to start a
new table for each subtitle. You can play around with the space-before on the
table elements to get them close enough together so that they appear to be the
same table. For each table define a fo:table-header, with the subtitle in that
row. The subtitle will then repeat across pages but no Continued word.

To get the continued word to work you will either need to resort to using a
region-before and use markers (youll need some trickery to get table in flow
to appear to be joined with subtitle row in region-before) or you will need to
wait for XSL-FO 1.1, which provides for markers in table header/footers.

Chris

Re: How to repeat subtitle onto the following pages

Posted by Zhong Yi <yi...@yahoo.com>.
I would use multiple page sequences.
The first page sequence just generate one page with
the "Equity" header in region-before. The second
sequence will generate the rest pages with "Equity
Continues..." in region-before.
You need to determine how many rows you can dump into
first page in advance.

George