Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/21 10:24:20 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Raymond Feng wrote:
>
>> I suggest that we create a demo application based on Geronimo DayTrader:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader/branches/2.1.3/.
>>

> Agreed. DayTrader is a well known benchmark. Showing integration with SCA
> would be a good non-trivial application to demo.

The thing with DayTrader is that its really big and complicated and (AIU) a
lot of it is designed to aid with performance measuring rather than as a
show case for JEE application techniques. So it might be easier and make a
better demo to pick something a little simpler like JEE enabling the
existing Tuscany tutorial application.

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:24 AM, ant elder wrote:
>>

>>> The thing with DayTrader is that its really big and complicated and (AIU)
>>> a lot of it is designed to aid with performance measuring rather than as a
>>> show case for JEE application techniques. So it might be easier and make a
>>> better demo to pick something a little simpler like JEE enabling the
>>> existing Tuscany tutorial application.
>>>

>> Exactly right. DayTrader was not designed as a showcase scenario. It's a
>> performance measurement device. I would not consider it a template for good
>> SCA design practices.
>>
>> One DayTrader plus would be the breadth of technologies that it
>> incorporates (servlet/JMS/EJBs). However, would tend to agree with Ant that
>> the tutorial would probably provide a better basis...
>>
>> --kevan
>>

> +1 for extending the store tutorial with JEE features. The store tutorial
> doesn't show this or other things that have been coming on-line recently
> like JMS. So it would be good add some new scenarios that show these new
> features.
>
> Simon

Ok so if we do this what would be good features to add or things to show?

>From the perspective of the Tuscany Geronimo integration some things that
would be good to show could be:

 - show non-JEE contributions deployed to the Geronimo SCA domain. So that
would be contributions either providing services or wiring JEE artifacts.
For providing services it right now only support implementation.java so it
might be good to add support for another implementation type like spring,
bpel, or scripting.

- one of the focuses of the integration work so far as been in the web
container so a webapp frontend seems appropriate, so using a mix of  SCA
annotations on JEE artifacts and also it would be good to show one of the
Tuscany extension like JSONRPC, though that extension isn't yet integrated
in the plugin so we'd have to do that.

- I guess as its JEE some EJB would be good, so perhaps showing the SCA
@EJBRef rewiring capabilities on simple non-SCA EJBs

Any comments on that, and does anyone who know the tutorial application well
have any good ideas how it could be changed to use those type of features?

   ...ant

Re: [DISCUSS] Demo scenarios and new samples for SCA Java EE Integration

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.