Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by MaoXinHua <ma...@coship.com> on 2011/10/31 10:20:51 UTC

We need help about how to install mahout

Hello every One

The coship company is now learing how to use mahout。But we don’t know how
to install mahout。

And don’t know the releationship between mahout and hadoop data node。We
don’t know the relationship of the modules of mahout

Can you give me some introduction about mahout?

We need a document that we follow it step by step, then we can install
mahout , and use mahout。

Of Course, We may have a business cooperation about mahout.

大家好:

同洲电子云计算中心也在学习如何使用mahout这个软件。Hadoop分布式文件系统我们也
搭建起来了。

但是我不知道mahout与hadoop的关系,mahout的组网结构,mahout内部各组件的相互关
系,

Mahout与hadoop节点间的关系。

能不能给一个文档,告诉我们怎么把mahout安装在hadoop上面,并且运行起来。

我们需要一个非常简单的,能够step by step就把mahout安装起来的文档。

我们需要了解mahout内部各组件的关系。

你们能够提供给我们这样一个文档吗?

当然,我们也可以有一个关于mahout的商业合作。

姓名  毛新华 职位 高级软件工程师 部门 解决方案部-研发部

深圳市同洲电子股份有限公司

地址:深圳市南山区高新科技园北区彩虹科技大厦(邮编:518057)

电话:86-0755-26990000转6379     传真:86-0755-26722666/26733777  手机:
13410922090

http://www.coship.com

本邮件及其附件所包含的信息均属深圳市同洲电子股份有限公司商业秘密,仅限于指定
的个人或组织使用,未经许可,不得泄露给任何第三方。如果您不是本邮件的预期收件
人,请立即将此错误告知本发件人,并迅速永久性删除本邮件及附件的所有原始件、复
制件和输出件,请勿保存、复制、利用和泄露本邮件及附件的任何内容,以确保您无须
为此承担法律责任。谢谢您的合作!请输入文档标题

请在此处编辑正文

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by bing wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi maoxinhua,
if you just want to install and run examples within mahout, you can see mahout
quickstart <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Quickstart>.

在 2011年10月31日 下午5:20,MaoXinHua <ma...@coship.com>写道:

--
Gmail/talk: wangbing7928@gmail.com

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by Alex Ott <al...@gmail.com>.
You can look onto 'Mahout in Action' book that was released several
weeks ago. I think, that it contains all necessary information

--
With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
http://alexott.net/

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by Dhruv Kumar <dk...@ecs.umass.edu>.
Mahout's mission is to create scalable machine learning libraries which can
run on a cluster of computers. The clustering method used by Mahout is
called MapReduce, which is implemented by Hadoop. Hence, for most things,
Mahout has a dependency on Hadoop.

To install Mahout, please follow this document:

https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/buildingmahout.html

The websites of Mahout and Hadoop are full of information, please have a
look over there as well.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:

> However Ted has pointed out some limitations of the current
> official/sanctioned release (0.5) and I'd really love to get a new
> version, blessed you all (by the Mahout community) into the next
> version.

It will likely be happening before long.  We have a few big things coming
in and are cleaning house in JIRA.

> I'm afraid I'm both stretched too thin at the moment and
> don't have the necessary expertise to help directly, but I know some
> other Clouderans are starting to participate at the contributor level.

Well, we have seen a few postings, but no significant contributions yet.
 It would lovely to have something that matches the PR.

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

>>> There is no timeline, but there are a number of use cases for which 0.5 is
>>> unsuitable relative to trunk.
>>
>> Those who know me know I'd be one of the first to volunteer, but given
>> I'm only a user here and not a committer I can only request - is it
>> possible for you all to cut a 0.6 release?
>
> I think we are working towards it at this point, but you know how this works: Users become Contributors become Committers  :-)

I hear you and I certainly meant no disrespect. I have the
same/similar text snippet as a macro for the projects I'm involved in.
;-)

Here's the thing, a bit of background: I drove the project to get
Mahout accepted/integrated into CDH. It's been a huge success so far
and we are seeing many users interested in the functionality you
provide. However Ted has pointed out some limitations of the current
official/sanctioned release (0.5) and I'd really love to get a new
version, blessed you all (by the Mahout community) into the next
version. I'm afraid I'm both stretched too thin at the moment and
don't have the necessary expertise to help directly, but I know some
other Clouderans are starting to participate at the contributor level.
So apologies for the request w/o being able to offer help directly,
but that's the context of my original email. Hope that makes things
more clear. Whatever happens, Thanks!

Patrick

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Nov 1, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> probably
>>>
>>> As far as I know 0.5 is the current stable/official release from the
>>> project, is there a timeline for 0.6 being released?
>>>

>> There is no timeline, but there are a number of use cases for which 0.5 is
>> unsuitable relative to trunk.
>
> Those who know me know I'd be one of the first to volunteer, but given
> I'm only a user here and not a committer I can only request - is it
> possible for you all to cut a 0.6 release?

I think we are working towards it at this point, but you know how this works: Users become Contributors become Committers  :-)

Here's the list of issues still open for 0.6 so far: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT/fixforversion/12316364 (I'm still holding out hope for some big LDA improvements too, but they aren't slated yet)

Patches are welcome!

Re: We need help about how to install mahout

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
MaoXinHua,

You can also see the Mahout in Action book which provides lots of step by
step examples and sample code.  There are also some examples on the wiki
which are usually helpful (although a little bit out of date).

Keep in mind that Cloudera has packaged the 0.5 release.  That is probably
OK for most recommendation applications, but is behind the trunk release
for a substantial number of applications.

If you tell us more about what you would like to do, we can provide more
specific advice.

Posted by Josh Patterson <jo...@cloudera.com>.