Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by AM...@aol.com on 2002/06/28 16:43:56 UTC

connection pooling strategy

Hi All

I am a regular reader of this mailing list now and I quite often read about
connection pooling. I sort of understand what it is and I have read it in
many books. I just wanted to know what real benefits does it actually
provide? My home tomcat server runs with a MS Access database conected to it
and when i create the ODBC datasource it gives you the option to connection
pool. I tried it but i could not see any real improvements? So my question is
in what type of environment does one really need to invest the time to design
a connection pool strategy for? and if you have a MS Access database then is
it better to write your own connection pool or use MS Access connection pool?
Do other databses come with connection pools?

Thanxs in advance

Regards
Amran

Re: connection pooling strategy

Posted by Anthony Geoghegan <an...@eircom.net>.
The M$ ACCESS ODBC driver is a queued single thread driver so no amount of
connection pool is going to make a whiff of difference.  But because it is
queued, if the concurrent queued connections exceed 10 or so it is notorious
for failing.

This is the main reason I find MYSQL a much better low cost option.

Best Regards,
Anthony Geoghegan.
J2EE & Oracle Consultant.
Posted by Charles Baker <ra...@yahoo.com>.

=====

Posted by John Gregg <jo...@techarch.com>.
I haven't done any tests lately, but once upon a time establishing a db
connection was an expensive operation.  It was slow enough that you didn't
want users sitting there waiting unnecessarily every time they hit a web
page.  A connection pool was the solution-- reuse the same open connection
over and over.  I coulnd't tell you anything about Access and pools.  Create
a test with a loop that opens and closes a db connection 10 or 100 or 1000
times and look at the average time.

john