Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> on 2012/03/05 17:17:30 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1297104 - in /incubator/bloodhound/trunk/installer: ./ LICENSE NOTICE README.rst createdigest.py installer.py pgrequirements.txt requirements.txt

Hi everyone,

I just thought that with this commit I would let you know that I have
written an installer of sorts. It definitely needs more testing (I have
stuck with Ubuntu 11.10 for this initial work) but it might serve as a
reasonable starting point to get people able to be more involved, at
least in the short term.

At the moment it will install the trac dependency from
https://svn.github.com/bloodhound-trac/trac.git (so through github's svn
translation layer). The only plugins that are installed at the moment
are TracAccountManager and BloodhoundMultiProduct. The latter will
modify an existing Trac database if it is told how to connect to it and
so it is not recommended to install this against a production system.

The README.rst contains some description of how it can be used and this
too could do with checking for accuracy or missed details.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Getting involved and installation pages

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
I have now also added a section on how to get involved in the
UI/Design process (other than code as such).
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundContributing#ContributingDesigns

Any feedback appreciated.
- Joe

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Antony,

Posted by Antony Semonella <as...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Antony Semonella <as...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Antony Semonella <as...@gmail.com>.
That sounds great.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Hyrum K Wright <hy...@wandisco.com>.

--

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com/

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Antony,

Posted by Antony Semonella <as...@gmail.com>.
Hello there,

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
I repeat ...
:-/

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

[...]
>> I just thought that with this commit I would let you know that I have written an installer of sorts. It definitely needs more testing (I have stuck with Ubuntu 11.10 for this initial work) but it might serve as a reasonable starting point to get people able to be more involved, at least in the short term.

My only suggestion here is to provide a separate function so as to
populate options parser and reuse it inside main . The reason for
doing this is to ease the task of writing more complex (Python)
scripts by embedding Bloodhound installer rather than invoking it as
an external script , i.e. something like this :

{{{
#!py

def custom_installer():
    parser = OptionParser(*args)
    add_bloodhound_options(parser)
    add_someother_options(parser)

    options, args = parser.parse_options()

        install_result = install_bloodhound(options, args)          #
<= this one will be `main`
        install_result = install_yetanother_app_or_plugin(options, args)
        return install_result

}}}

... this may be useful
;)

Olemis.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,

:)

> I just thought that with this commit I would let you know that I have written an installer of sorts. It definitely needs more testing (I have stuck with Ubuntu 11.10 for this initial work) but it might serve as a reasonable starting point to get people able to be more involved, at least in the short term.

My only suggestion here is to provide a separate function so as to
populate options parser and reuse it inside main . The reason for
doing this is to ease the task of writing more complex (Python)
scripts by embedding Bloodhound installer rather than invoking it from
the CLI i.e. sometho

[...]

Olemis.