Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org> on 2006/10/05 22:09:34 UTC

Re: 3.1.6, local scores, and sa-update

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 03:31:33PM -0400, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Sigh.  None of the machines I tested the change on redefined any scores.
>  I forgot that this actually causes an error and not info, so I didn't
> even think of trying it.
>
> For now you'll have to disable the score lines while you do sa-update.
> Temporarily renaming whatever.cf to whatever.cf-disabled is probably the
> easiest way to go about it.

For such a major issue, I would suggest we fix it ASAP and release 3.1.7.
People will likely just stop doing sa-update if they have to go through this.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
I had a cat once...  It tasted like chicken.

Re: 3.1.6, local scores, and sa-update

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 03:31:33PM -0400, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>> Sigh.  None of the machines I tested the change on redefined any scores.
>>  I forgot that this actually causes an error and not info, so I didn't
>> even think of trying it.
>>
>> For now you'll have to disable the score lines while you do sa-update.
>> Temporarily renaming whatever.cf to whatever.cf-disabled is probably the
>> easiest way to go about it.
>
> For such a major issue, I would suggest we fix it ASAP and release 3.1.7.
> People will likely just stop doing sa-update if they have to go through this.

I agree (and I feel like an ass -- I should have caught this).

So far these are the options I've thought of:

1) only load pre files:

I originally didn't do this since I wanted a successful sa-update to
signify that the rest of the config was good too and you could restart
spamd with no problems.

2) pass in a flag to lint to ignore warnings about score/tflags/describe
for non-existent rules:

There could be other things that would cause lint errors, when the
default (or sa-update'd) rulesets aren't loaded, that I'm not thinking of.

3) load the current ruleset in the local state dir (or the default rule
set if sa-update hasn't been run before):

We can't do it... we run into the same problem we have now if someone
has zeroed out a score in their local config and the same rule gets
removed in an sa-update ruleset.

4) revert the change for now

So, option 1 seems the safest.  Option 2 would be nice, but I'm not
certain I'm not missing something.  Option 3 isn't an option.  I'd like
to avoid option 4, but it's better than nothing if 1 or 2 or something
else doesn't work out shortly.

Unfortunately, as like when anything goes wrong, I'm out the door in
less than an hour to go pickup SWMBO.  I'll be away for 36+ hours. :(

Daryl

Re: 3.1.6, local scores, and sa-update

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:09:34PM -0400, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> For such a major issue, I would suggest we fix it ASAP and release 3.1.7.
> People will likely just stop doing sa-update if they have to go through this.

In thinking about it more, since I think the lint issue is a fairly complex
one to deal with (I'll post about it in the bug), how about we pull out the
patch and release 3.1.7, then look at the lint issue for a 3.1.8.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"... born during the barbeque hey-day of the fifties, gas grills combine