Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com> on 2016/08/24 22:21:46 UTC

Solr 6.1 Won't Start on Non-bash-Enabled System

I'm attempting to upgrade a Solr 4.8.1 instance to 6.1. The host OS is
OpenBSD 6.0.

Attempting to start Solr (as in the on-line QuickStart) with:

   bin/solr start -e cloud -noprompt

fails with the error "env: bash: No such file or directory". Apparently
bin/solr is a bash script. The OpenBSD host I'm using doesn't have bash
installed (and unfortunately, no, I can't install it just for this). The
default shell is ksh.

When I try to use the script I previously used to start the 4.8.1
version, I get the warnings:

    WARNING: System properties and/or JVM args set.  Consider using
      --dry-run or --exec
    WARNING: Nothing to start, exiting ..."

The old startup script looks like this:

    JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk-1.8.0 JAVA=java JETTY_HOME=/var/solr6
      JETTY_PORT=8983 JETTY_LOGS=/var/solr6/logs
      /usr/local/jdk-1.8.0/bin/java -Dsolr.solr.home=/var/solr6/solr
      -Djava.util.logging.config.file=etc/logging.properties
      -DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=abc123 -jar /var/solr6/start.jar
      --daemon &

If I had to guess, something has changed in the version of jetty
included with Solr 6.1.0, but I can't figure out what parameters are
different.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Re: Solr 6.1 Won't Start on Non-bash-Enabled System

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
A unix system w/o bash is rare enough these days, it's unlikely to be supported.

As a workaround, last I checked, I was still able to create a WAR (by
jarring up the appropriate directory) and launch it the old 4.x way
(java -jar start.jar)
For your setup, try putting the webapp in /var/solr6/webapps/solr.war

-Yonik

Posted by Scott Vanderbilt <li...@datagenic.com>.
Thank you for your reply.

After some experimentation and reading of jetty docs, I found that by
deleting the "--daemon" argument and add "--module=http" to my startup
script, I was able to get Solr running, albeit, with several warnings
that I would like to resolve.

When you say "look at full process execution string", how would I do that?

Best wishes.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Workarounds