Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Hanisch <ha...@informatik.uni-muenchen.de> on 2000/07/06 17:19:57 UTC

HTML::Mason - declaration of subs outside out <%ONCE> sections?

Hi *,

I am currently working on a site running HTML::Mason (v0.87).

While reading the documentation, I came across the <%ONCE> sections, that
are -as the docs put it-

" Useful for declaring persistent component-scoped lexical variables
(especially objects that are expensive
 to create), declaring subroutines (both named and anonymous), and
initializing state. "

To be honest - I have never used them ;-)

So the question is:
Is there any harm in defining subroutines inside regular <%PERL> sections?
(I know that it works, but I'm not sure for how long :-(  )

If anyone can shed a little light on the more complex scoping/lifetime
issues with the different kinds of sections, I'd be really grateful.

Best regards,
	Michael.

Michael   |  email: hanisch@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Hanisch   |