Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Kai Hagemeister <kh...@planoweb.de> on 2005/10/17 14:31:12 UTC

Quite basic questions

Hello,

I have a few basic questions and hope that somebody can assist.
I'm trying to search different domains. It seems fairly simple to crawl
one special domain (intranet-search) which is defined in the configuration
file. But this seems to be limited to only the one, specified domain.
I also could search through the web (websearch) by giving different urls
via an urlfile. But I want to search complete domains without going
outside.
So, if I handover the urls bla.com and blub.net, only sites from this
domains should be fetched. I tried to set the parameter follow
outsitelinks to 0. But then, also links inside of the domain were ignored.
Is there a way to acomplish the task? I mean an other then changing the
sourcecode :-).
Furthermore I created a directory db for the database and one for
segments. Then I started tomcat from a parent-directory of segments. The
Java class seems to search for a child-directory segments from the current
position. The problem: after each update of the index I have to restart
tomcat :-(. It's getting worse each time when I start the processes I must
delete the database and the segments.
How do I accomplish a reasonable fetching cycle. Could somebody give an
example?
My idea would be to put the following snippet in a endless loop and call
this with nohup:

bin/nutch generate db segments -topN 1000
s1=`ls -d segments/2* | tail -1`
bin/nutch fetch $s1
bin/nutch updatedb db $s1
bin/nutch index $s1

Would this be advisable? And can sombody explain the meaning of -topN 1000.
Is there no other way then restarting tomcat?
I would appriciate any assistance.
Best regards
Kai

--
P L A N O M E D I A

Re: Quite basic questions

Posted by Kai Hagemeister <kh...@planoweb.de>.
Hello Gal,

thanks for your reply.

> Take a look here: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-100
>
> If you have further questions...

I've a problem with nutch-extensionpoints. There are no Java-Sourcefiles
in src. So I cant compile.
I tried to remove the entry for nutch-extension-points from build.xml so
that I could compile the sources without it but it seems that
nutch-extensionpoints is vital.
Any idea?

Kai

Re: Quite basic questions

Posted by Gal Nitzan <gn...@usa.net>.
Hi,

Re: [Nutch-general] NewbieNutcher....

Posted by Kai Hagemeister <kh...@planoweb.de>.
Hello Niclas,

after calling ./nutch updatedb db $s1 you must index the fetched pages by
calling nutch index $s1

Kai

--
P L A N O M E D I A