Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/29 02:54:49 UTC

[DISCUSS] How to prepare the Python environment of PyFlink release in the current Flink release process

Hi all,

We have reached a consensus that the PyFlink package should be published to PyPI in [1]. Thanks to Jincheng's effort, the PyPI account has already been created and available to use now [2]. It means that we could publish PyFlink to PyPI in the coming releases and it also means that additional steps will be added to the normal process of the Flink release to prepare the PyFlink release package.

It needs a proper Python environment(i.e. Python 3.5+, setuptools, etc) to build the PyFlink package. There are two options in my mind to prepare the Python environment:
1) Reuse the script lint-python.sh defined in flink-python module to create the required virtual environment and build the PyFlink package using the created virtual environment.
2) It's assumed that the local Python environment is properly installed and ready to use. The Python environment requirement will be documented at the page "Create a Flink Release" and validation check could also be added in create_binary_release.sh to throw an meaningful error with hints how to fix it if it's not correct.

Option 1:
Pros:
- It's transparent for release managers.
Cons:
- It needs to prepare the virtual environment during preparing the PyFlink release package and it will take some several minutes as it need to download a few binaries.

Option 2:
Pros:
- There is no need to prepare the virtual environment if the local environment is already properly configured.
Cons:
- It requires the release managers to prepare the local Python environment and not all the people are familiar with Python and it's a burden for release managers.

Personally I prefer to option 1).

Looking forward to your feedback!

PS: I think this issue could also be discussed in the JIRA. But I tend to bring up the discussion to ML as it introduces an additional step to the release process and I think this should be visible to the community and it should be well discussed. Besides, we could also get more feedback.

Regards,
Dian

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-13011?focusedCommentId=16947307&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16947307

Re: [DISCUSS] How to prepare the Python environment of PyFlink release in the current Flink release process

Posted by Dian Fu <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the discussion. As all the people tend to option #1, we will take option#1 as the solution for this issue. Thanks again!

Thanks,
Dian

Posted by Hequn Cheng <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dian,