Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/07/01 01:47:42 UTC

[Lucy Wiki] Update of "LucyIncubatorProposal" by MarvinHumphrey

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Lucy Wiki" for change notification.

The "LucyIncubatorProposal" page has been changed by MarvinHumphrey.
The comment on this change is: Flesh out "Core Developers", cannibalizing information from elsewhere.  Shrink and refine some of the Known Risks. .
http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev1=20&rev2=21

  Lucy's chief challenge is growing its community, which it hopes to achieve through efforts in two areas: reaching a 1.0 release, and actively reaching out to its target audience, users and developers in the dynamic language communities who want a fast, scalable full-text search solution in their native language.

  === Core Developers ===
- Apache is composed of individuals.

- It is useful to provide a brief introduction to the developers on the initial committers list. This is best done here (and not in that section). This section may be used to discuss the diversity of the core development team. Example (ServiceMix) The core developers are a diverse group of developers many of which are already very experienced open source developers. There is at least one Apache Member together with a number of other existing Apache Committers along with folks from various companies. http://servicemix.org/Team Example (WADI) WADI was founded by Jules Gosnell in 2004, it now has a strong base of developers from Geronimo, Castor, OpenEJB, Mojo, Jetty, ActiveCluster, ActiveMQ, and ServiceMix.
+  * Marvin Humphrey is the project founder of KinoSearch, and co-founded the existing Lucy subproject.  He is presently employed by Eventful, Inc.
+  * Peter Karman has contributed to several open source projects since 2001, including being a committer at http://swish-e.org/ (a search engine), http://code.google.com/p/rose/ (an ORM) and http://catalyst.perl.org/ (web framework).  He is employed by American Public Media.
+  * Nathan Kurz has participated in numerous open source projects and has been a KinoSearch committer since 2007.  He is currently Chief Flavor Engineer of Scream Sorbet, and writes software in his copious free time.

  === Alignment ===
  One Apache value which is particularly cherished by the Lucy community is code base transparency.  We have developed institutions which enable us to measure and maximize usability (see [http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/BrainLog]), and we feel strongly that the bindings for Lucy must present APIs and documentation which are idiomatic to the host language culture so that end users can consume our work as easily as possible.
@@ -56, +57 @@

  == Known Risks ==

  === Orphaned products ===
- All three initial committers have been associated with the project for several years across multiple jobs.  However, at this time, the project would probably not survive the departure of the the founder, Marvin Humphrey, so there is a risk of being orphaned.  Marvin has no plans to leave, but as a community we have been actively working to make him dispensable.
+ All initial committers have been associated with the project for several years across multiple jobs.  However, at this time, the project would probably not survive the departure of Marvin Humphrey, so there is a risk of being orphaned.  Marvin has no plans to leave, but we have been actively working to disperse his knowledge of the code base and administrative responsibilities in order to make him dispensable.
-

  === Inexperience with Open Source ===

+ The initial committers have all have significant experience with open source development, and include one present Apache committer.  We recognize that we lack PMC experience and seek to address that deficiency by going through the Incubator.  In retrospect, Marvin wishes that Lucy had gone through the Incubator during its first inception.
- Varying degrees of open source experience:
-  * Marvin Humphrey had moderate experience with open source when Lucy started, and is now more seasoned. In retrospect, he wishes that Lucy had gone through incubation during its first inception.
-  * Peter Karman has contributed to several open source projects since 2001, including being a committer at http://swish-e.org/ (a search engine), http://code.google.com/p/rose/ (an ORM) and http://catalyst.perl.org/ (web framework).
-  * Nathan Kurz --
-
-

  === Homogenous Developers ===
  Our community is geographically dispersed, with members in San Diego, Oakland, and Minneapolis.  We all work for different organizations.

  === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
- Marvin Humphrey is currently employed primarily to work on this project and to support applications that use it.
+ Marvin Humphrey has a great job at Eventful working primarily on this project and supporting applications that use it.  Nevertheless, he is extremely dedicated to Lucy and is determined to see it through to the point where it becomes self-sustaining, regardless of work circumstances.

  === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
  When Lucy was conceived, we envisioned that our eventual sub-communities (Perl, Ruby, etc) would approach using and extending the library in distinct ways, and that we would be able to harness the creative tension between the different cultures to drive innovation.  Lucy and Lucene have that kind of a relationship today, and multiple significant novelties have either cross-pollinated or arisen while discussing competing approaches.  (e.g. object conservation during indexing, per-segment search.)
@@ -131, +126 @@

   1. Peter Karman (peter at peknet dot com)
   1. Nathan Kurz ( nate@verse.com )

- == Affiliations ==
- Marvin Humphrey is employed by Eventful, Inc and works primarily on this project.
- Peter Karman is employed by American Public Media and contributes to this project and several other open source projects.
-
  == Sponsors ==
  === Champion ===

Re: Core Developer bios

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 05:01:45PM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:47:42PM -0000, Apache Wiki wrote:
> > +  * Nathan Kurz has participated in numerous open source projects and has been a KinoSearch committer since 2007.  He is currently Chief Flavor Engineer of Scream Sorbet, and writes software in his copious free time.
>
> Nate, I didn't know what to write to describe your crazy bio, and I don't
> think this does enough to convey your serious C and comp-sci chops.
>
> I also don't think "Chief Flavor Engineer" is your title at Scream, though IMO
> it ought to be.
>
> Can you please edit?

Heh, I hear from Nate via private email that he likes the existing bio.  So be
it!

Marvin Humphrey

Core Developer bios

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.