Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2020/09/11 22:53:50 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 3.1.1 (RC2)

Dear community,

I would like to propose that we release Apache CouchDB 3.1.1.

Changes since the last round:

     https://github.com/apache/couchdb/compare/3.1.1-RC1...3.1.1-RC2

Candidate release notes:

     https://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/whatsnew/3.1.html

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
artefacts so that any critical issues can be resolved before the release
is made. Everyone is free to vote on this release, so dig right in!
(Only PMC members have binding votes, but they depend on community
feedback to gauge if an official release is ready to be made.)

The release artefacts we are voting on are available here:

     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/couchdb/source/3.1.1/rc.2/

There, you will find a tarball, a GPG signature, and SHA256/SHA512
checksums.

Please follow the test procedure here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Testing+a+Source+Release

Please remember that "RC2" is an annotation. If the vote passes, these
artefacts will be released as Apache CouchDB 3.1.1.

Because of the weekend, this vote will remain open until 5PM ET (UTC-4),
Tuesday, 15 September 2020.

Please cast your votes now.

Thanks,
Joan "once more unto the breech, dear friends" Touzet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 3.1.1 (RC2)

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Tested on Windows 10 1909, Erlang 20.3.8.26, SM60

Cannot check my own signatures, but checksums match.

make check: some persistent test failures:

   Issues filed: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/3158
                 https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/3159

I am not going to block this release on these tests as I
suspect these are harness-specific failures; however, if it is
found post-release that JWT or ProxyAuth fail on Windows, we
can spin a new release at that time. Neither is functionality
that will break existing users.

+1

-Joan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

> On 14. Sep 2020, at 15:02, Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There is no existing HTTP request header that I'm aware of that could cover this and inventing custom HTTP headers is not recommended (CouchDB has a fair few but I don't want to add to that pile).
>
> My preference is to remove the query parameter without replacement for this release, leaving it as just an administrator setting. We can enhance this in a future release.

Why should we remove this? I don’t think it is controversial.

Best
Jan
—

Posted by Robert Samuel Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Can anyone else repeat this failure or look at it? macOS only or others?
Don't see this on Linux.

I'm out for the rest of the day and if no one responds can look tomorrow.

Glynn you should be able to edit that wiki page, please do if you have
time :) thanks!

-Joan

Posted by Glynn Bird <gl...@apache.org>.
macOS 10.15.6

Posted by Bessenyei Balázs Donát <be...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

I've checked SHAsums and GPG signature and they are correct.
I've also done some end-to-end comparison to the latest docker image
and there seems to be no regression.

And I'm interested to see the discussion addressing Richard Ellis'
concerns as any post-release changes to the "location" of the new
control (qs -> header) would require a major version (in semver-land).

Thank you,
Donat

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
On 16/09/2020 09:05, Bessenyei Balázs Donát wrote:
>> Why should we remove this? I don’t think it is controversial.
>
> Does that mean 3.1.1 will be released with the query parameter
> `buffer_response`?

Yes, it is in 3.1.1-RC2.

> Nit:
>> 3.1.1 will not be cut unless 3 +1 votes, minimum, arrive from committers, with no blockers by convention.
>
> According to http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval
> I thought it has to be 3 PMC members (which by the way I think is
> already passed if Nick, Glynn and Joan (RM) are all +1).
> Or is there a different process in CouchDB?

Sorry, correct, fumble on my part. Kinda busy. Voting process is all
detailed here:

https://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html

Lazy majority PMC members have binding votes.

-Joan

Posted by Bessenyei Balázs Donát <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Will Holley <wi...@gmail.com>.
Environment:

Posted by Nick Vatamaniuc <va...@gmail.com>.
Environment:

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
That's fine by me, would rather not have a DOA release.

A fix is going in to bypass ppc64le builds for now, then hopefully
Jenkins will have Linux binary builds up for testing. I hope to get to a
Windows build today, too.

-Joan

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey all,

[RESULT] (was: [VOTE] Release Apache CouchDB 3.1.1 (RC2))

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Dear community,

The vote has now closed.

Thank you to everyone who participated!