Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sean Dockery <se...@sbdconsultants.com> on 2003/01/30 01:32:12 UTC

Tomcat 4.x Provides Connection Pools for JDBC Datasources Automatically?

I recently picked up a copy of Mastering Tomcat Development (0471237647).
The following is an excerpt from the book's chapter entitled Databases,
Connection Pools, and JDBC:

"Prior to Tomcat 4, there was no connection pooling functionality within
Tomcat, and you had to make a choice about the connection pooling technology
to use.  With Tomcat 4.x, you get an easy-to-use connection pooling library
to work with, built into the server."

The book then provides examples of a Resource declaration for each of Tomcat
4.0.x and Tomcat 4.1.x (using driverName versus using url as the parameter
name).

Is what the authors claim true?  If so, what do I gain by using a connection
pooling layer such as DBCP?