Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Rickard <Da...@GTScompanies.com> on 2003/11/19 01:15:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Build Error

Server: SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
Apache: 2.0.47
GCC: 3.1

We have Apache 1.3 on the server, and want to upgrade it; first question:
which is safer/more complete: building new version from source, or
installing binary over original install?

We went ahead and attempted to build Apache from source; configure ran
without errors (exit status 0; attached); when I attempt make, I get an
extensive list of "redefinition" errors, ala
         /usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.c:2430: redefinition of
`ap_hack_apr_version'
         /usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.c:1051: `ap_hack_apr_version'
previously defined here
and the make fails with this error message:
         *** Error code 1
         make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`/usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.lo'
         Current working directory /usr/share/src/httpd-2.0.47/server
         *** Error code 1
         make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'
         Current working directory /usr/share/src/httpd-2.0.47/server
         *** Error code 1
         make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'
Is this a bug with the installer, or is there an issue with the server
environment (GCC version, libraries etc)?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA  *  York, PA  *  Boston MA  *  New Delhi, India

David.Rickard@GTSCompanies.com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040
(323) 888-8889 x331
(323) 888-1849 [fax]

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Build Error

Posted by Kyle Dent <kd...@seaglass.com>.
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, David Rickard wrote:

> Server: SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
> Apache: 2.0.47
> GCC: 3.1
>
> We have Apache 1.3 on the server, and want to upgrade it; first question:
> which is safer/more complete: building new version from source, or
> installing binary over original install?
>
> We went ahead and attempted to build Apache from source; configure ran
> without errors (exit status 0; attached); when I attempt make, I get an
> extensive list of "redefinition" errors, ala
>          /usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.c:2430: redefinition of
> `ap_hack_apr_version'
>          /usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.c:1051: `ap_hack_apr_version'
> previously defined here
> and the make fails with this error message:
>          *** Error code 1
>          make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `/usr/src/httpd-2.0.47/server/exports.lo'
>          Current working directory /usr/share/src/httpd-2.0.47/server
>          *** Error code 1
>          make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'
>          Current working directory /usr/share/src/httpd-2.0.47/server
>          *** Error code 1
>          make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install-recursive'
> Is this a bug with the installer, or is there an issue with the server
> environment (GCC version, libraries etc)?

Sounds like the same issue discussed on Saturday:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=106892783408365&w=2

Kyle

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Build Error

Posted by Pete Geenhuizen <pg...@carolina.rr.com>.
I ran into the same problem, here's the answer I got

"I believe this is the "source dir contains a symlink" problem. You will
find multiple definitions in server/exports.lo.

Aparently there is a symlink in the path to your source dir. Set your dir
to the explicit physical directory location and reconfigure."

Talk about obscure, I had a symbolic link /xfer/apache pointing to
/export/data/xfer/.

So I did a cd to the for real no symbolic link path and viola it compiled
without any problems.

Good luck.

--
"Unencumbered by the thought process"
--1992-2000 Click and Clack presidential campaign slogan