Posted to user@avro.apache.org by Bhuvana Bellala <Bh...@cormac-corp.com> on 2014/07/07 23:13:37 UTC

COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Hi,

  I want convert a CSV file into avro format so that I can compress data and do some map reduce things in Hadoop. And then I want to convert the avro data back to text. Are there any tools to do this? I know I could use hive to do this but I want to know if there are any other ways to do this? Thank!

[Cormac_logo]

Bhuvana Bellala| Intern
________________________________
13921 Park Center Road, Suite 180, Herndon VA 20171|
CMMI Maturity Level 3 Rated| GSA Schedule 70| SBA SDB, 8(a)|
www.cormac-corp.com<http://www.cormac-corp.com/>

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
You need to adapt this Tool for your own requirements.

You can possibly use the SchemaBuilder[0] to build a schema @Runtime which
you would then pass to DataFileWriter.write(schema, outStream). Thats how I
would try it over then refine it for your use case. Any others ideas?

[0]
http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/index.html?org/apache/avro/SchemaBuilder.html

--
*Lewis*

RE: COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Posted by Bhuvana Bellala <Bh...@cormac-corp.com>.
Hi Lewis

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi *Bhuvana*

Posted by Rich Haase <rd...@gmail.com>.
Bhuvana,

If you are just trying to get compression for your data in HDFS you would
be better served by using HDFS compression rather than converting to Avro
and back.

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.1-Win-latest/bk_sysadmin-guide/content/sysadmin_hdfs_compressions.html

Cheers,

Rich

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM, Bhuvana Bellala <
Bhuvana.Bellala@cormac-corp.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

>   I want convert a CSV file into avro format so that I can compress data
> and do some map reduce things in Hadoop. And then I want to convert the
> avro data back to text. Are there any tools to do this? I know I could use
> hive to do this but I want to know if there are any other ways to do this?
> Thank!
>

> [image: Cormac_logo]
>

> *Bhuvana Bellala| Intern*
>  * ------------------------------ *
>
> *13921 Park Center Road, Suite 180, Herndon VA 20171|*
>
> *CMMI Maturity Level 3 Rated| GSA Schedule 70| SBA SDB, 8(a)*|
>
> www.cormac-corp.com

> If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute
> or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
> have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
> system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that
> disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
> contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

--
*Kernighan's Law*
definition, not smart enough to debug it."

Re: COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
Try executing with ./dataset (note the period and slash prefix).

I'll work to get the documentation updated.

-Joey

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Bhuvana Bellala <

--
Joey Echeverria

Re: COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Posted by Deepak Sharma <de...@gmail.com>.
I am sure you are using the command from the directory where you have the
kitesdk binaries.Instead try this:
./dataset csv-schema xxx.csv --class xxx -o xxx.avsc

Thanks
Deepak

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM, Bhuvana Bellala <

--
Thanks
Deepak

RE: COnverting CSV files to avro and back to text

Posted by Bhuvana Bellala <Bh...@cormac-corp.com>.
Hey Deepak,

Posted by Deepak Sharma <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.