Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jim Simmons <s4...@ornl.gov> on 1999/09/30 20:18:30 UTC

mod_autoindex/5087: HeaderName & ReadmeName require filename extension, even if file does not have an extension

>Number:         5087
>Category:       mod_autoindex
>Synopsis:       HeaderName & ReadmeName require filename extension, even if file does not have an extension
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Note: this has been reported elsewhere in other bug reports but I consider
this specific situation to be a big enough problem that it forces a return
to 1.3.6.

Basically, filenames listed in HeaderName directives have to have an extension
or they will not work.  In our case, we have README and HEADER files that
are named exactly README and HEADER.  It seems to be impossible to get
mod_autoindex to display these files anymore without renaming all of them
to include an extension.  This will mean changes to other links and
previously published documentation, which may not be acceptable.

This fails despite a "DefaultType text/plain" elsewhere in the configuration.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use a "HeaderName HEADER" directive and put a file named simply HEADER in the
directory to be indexed.  It will not be displayed.
>Fix:
Revert to the old way of handling HeaderName and ReadmeName, or at least
add an option to revert to the old method.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]