Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Phani <ph...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/08 00:19:46 UTC

Paging in DisplayTag

Hi,

Shud my Action form be in session scope if I want to
specify pagesize in display tag for paging..

Because I get the following error:

Error 500: Cannot find bean storeForm in any scope

Thanks,
Phani.

Re: Paging in DisplayTag

Posted by BH...@powersystems.rockwell.com.
This is dependent on how you have structured you database query.  There are
multiple solutions to what you are attempting to do.

1.  Create a query that will return the entire resultset and store that
resultset in the session as you metion.  If you are returning an extremely
large result set, running the application in a clustered environment with
percistant sessions to a database, or have a large number of users, this
could prove problematic.  The more you put into the session, the more
memory your application will use.  Additionally, if you persist your
session, you are requerying each time you mention a session.  This could be
a mojor performance hit. Finnally, you are moving a lot of data across the
network.  If 90% of the users will find what they need on the first 1 or 2
pages of a resultset, pulling back the data to populate the reset of the
menus is a waste of resources.

2.  If all users are going to use the same resultset (ie multipage menuing
or a product catalog), this may be a occation for a singleton class with a
collection containing the data.  You could refresh this singleton based on
a timeframe to insure it remains current.  this will only work for
semistatic results.

3.  Implement a fast lane reader pattern.  This will subdivide your SQL
results to return only the page that is being displayed using boundry
conditions in the SQL or Stored procedure.  This will require a database
hit between each page, but if the database is properly indexed and you are
using a connection pool, you can still retain very fast performance.

I am sure there are many more ways to address this problem, but these are
the three that I have had the most experiance with.  It boils down to ever
situation is different and you have to customize your solution based on the
data, the business requirement, and the user habits.

             Phani
             <phanidhar_j@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
                                       Struts Users Mailing List
             07/07/2005 06:19          <us...@struts.apache.org>, Michael
             PM                        Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>
                                                                        cc

               "Struts Users           Paging in DisplayTag
               Mailing List"
             <user@struts.apac
                  he.org>