Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Don Sizemore <dl...@metalab.unc.edu> on 2006/11/28 16:49:29 UTC

moving maven repository to mirrors.ibiblio.org (fwd)

Posted by Don Sizemore <dl...@metalab.unc.edu>.
|Is mirrors.ibiblio.org balancing the load on the mirrors?

  I should have phrased that differently, sorry.  Maven is one of the most
heavily-used sites in our web cluster, while mirrors.ibiblio.org is under-
utilized, and as a file repository, the ibiblio Maven archive really
belongs there.  mirrors.ibiblio.org is not load-balanced, no.  It's just a
stand-alone box.

|Will you leave www.ibiblio.org/maven and www.ibiblio.org/maven2 as
|redirects to the new location?

  Yes, and we will be happy to leave the data in place for several months.
My primary goal is to drive the bulk of the traffic to the mirror server.

|We need to check for maven1 users that still point there, but for
|maven2 is fine as they already use repo1.maven.org as central

  It looks like we'll need to update the RewriteBase in your .htaccess
file, or we could do some additional redirecting in the Apache conf file.
I'd rather do the former, unless you've got one .htaccess file you push
out to all of your repositories?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 29 Nov 06, at 11:22 AM 29 Nov 06, Don Sizemore wrote:

> |Is mirrors.ibiblio.org balancing the load on the mirrors? Will you
> leave
> |www.ibiblio.org/maven and www.ibiblio.org/maven2 as redirects to
> the new
> |location? We need to check for maven1 users that still point
> there, but
> |for maven2 is fine as they already use repo1.maven.org as central
>
>   Hi Carlos,
>
>   I've copied the maven and maven2 repositories into their new
> locations
> on mirrors.ibiblio.org, and have created rsync modules on that server.
> We'll leave the old content in their old locations for a while.  I
> think
> we need three things to happen:
>
>  1) The maven folks (Brett?) update their 4-hourly rsync script to
> update
> /export/mirrors/maven and /export/mirrors/maven2 instead of /public/
> html

I have updated the scripts. So we now use mirrors.ibiblio.org and
have you copied our keys over?

>  2) do we need to update the .htaccess files, which expect a
> RewriteBase
> of /maven, which will become /pub/mirrors/maven on
> mirrors.ibiblio.org.
> Or we could simply throw a symlink on mirrors.ibiblio if you have one
> .htaccess file that you push out to all of your mirrors?

I will take a look and let you know. Ideally we would like to mirror
this content and not have to burden the mirror providers with having
to change much if anything.

>  3) We need to update this page to point to the new location:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-mirror-settings.html
> (note that ggi-project.org and ibiblio.net are both on ibiblio.org)

Updated.

>  3.5) Maybe send out a note to some of the Maven lists noting the
> change
> in repositories?  Or is that overkill

Starting with the next release of Maven 1.x we will be able to
control the default repositories and their use from Maven itself.
Folks should not have to update any configuration.

Posted by Don Sizemore <dl...@metalab.unc.edu>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi, some questions

Is mirrors.ibiblio.org balancing the load on the mirrors?
Will you leave www.ibiblio.org/maven and www.ibiblio.org/maven2 as
redirects to the new location?

We need to check for maven1 users that still point there, but for
maven2 is fine as they already use repo1.maven.org as central

Thanks

On 11/28/06, Don Sizemore <dl...@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

> [...]

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.