Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by 谢晓东 <xx...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/30 09:38:06 UTC

I'd like to take part in the "tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" and "tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" project of Google Summer Code of 2009

Hello, Everyone,

   I am a Chinese master student from Royal Institute of Technology of
Sweden. I'd like to take part in the "tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" and
"tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" project of Google Summer Code of 2009. Here I
have some intuitive thinking for these two project.

   For the first one, I think I should implement some middle layer between
JAX-WS Dispatch API and SCA reference, and some transformer between JAXB
friendly representations and other databindings. For the second task in the
description, I think I could use some structure like Xfire integrated with
Spring (Xfire could expose beans managed by Spring container as Web
Services), provided some delegator to delegate invocations from Web to the
beneath tuscany component.

   For the second one, I'd like to choose Hibernate as the JPA
implementation for this project, since it is open-source, has many documents
and examples support it and I am quite familiar and feel comfortable to work
with it. This project involves some Conventions (much like those of the
famous Rails), which need to be interpreted and translated into
corresponding method invocation, and I will use Java Reflection to solve
them.

Here is my biography and background:

   I'm Xie Xiaodong, come from China. Now I'm in Sweden, pursuing my second
Master Degree on Software Engineering of Distributed Systems. Before I came
to Sweden, I worked for a famous online payment company in China for one and
a half years. I'm also familiar with many kinds of frameworks such as
Spring, Hibernate, Ibatis and so on. During the spare time of my previous
job, I have read some articles about SCA, and have implemented some very
simple tiny program using Tuscany.

   Any comment to this mail is welcomed. And I also hope to have some more
information for me to get started.

   Thank you very much for your concerning.

Sincerely yours and Best Wishes,
Xie Xiaodong

Re: I'd like to take part in the "tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" and "tuscany-binding.ws.jaxws" project of Google Summer Code of 2009

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Yes, we already have binding.ws supported in Tuscany based on Axis2 code.
The implementation of binding.ws using the standard JAX-WS APIs will give us
the flexibility to plug in any compliant JAX-WS stacks. On the other hand,
it can also reduce the dependencies and footprint considering JAX-WS is now
shipped with JDK 6.

Talking about code, we need to start with patches. You can open JIRA and
submit patches. One of the committers will review and apply your patches
into our SVN repository. You can also earn committer status with your active
contributions to the project. See
http://tuscany.apache.org/getting-involved.html.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/30 Xie Xiaodong <xx...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>    Tuscany already has a <binding.ws> implementation on Axis2, so we can
> make use of it, and replace parts related to Axis2 with JAX-WS. We already
> have "promote" mechanism to promote a component into a webservice endpoint,
> so what need to be done is some "conversion" work? And I have checked API
> description of JavaXMLAdapter, I think that we need to implement some
> adapter for the type we used in Tuscany, and provide some hook for
> developers to inject their own adapters in to adapt their own types.
>    Above is some thinking of mine. Any comments and advise is welcome. Thank
> you.
>
> PS: I am eager to start. How can I communicate the source code I will work
> on with my mentor? A new branch or something else?

There are various resources linked from your Tuscany dashboard page
[1], please take a look at "Learning to work with Open Source" and
"Learning Tuscany SCA" where this last one has links to source code,
etc.

As for where, I'd recommend using 1.x, and would suggest that your
mentor create a empty project stub that you could use to start
providing patches using JIRAs (see details on the "Learning to work
with Open Source" section)

[1] http://tuscany.apache.org/tuscany-dashboard.html

--
Luciano Resende