Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@lucene.com> on 2002/09/19 23:47:44 UTC

coding conventions

Scott Ganyo wrote:
> Nevertheless, I'm willing to accept that you have defined it as "Lucene
> standard style" and I do abide by it when developing Lucene...

I don't think style should be (or even can be) mandated.  When writing
new code from scratch, a developer should of course try use a style that
is not egregiously different than that of the code that it's destined to
join, but he or she doesn't have to rigidly adhere to an identical
style.  When editing existing code, a good-faith effort should be made
to adhere to its existing style.  That's just good manners.

In general, we should respect the styles of other developers, and hope
in turn that they will respect our style choices.  I don't mind a
project with a variety of styles: the personality of the developer
should show in the code.  I don't even mind a class with different
methods coded in different styles if they were written at different
times and/or by different developers.

So I don't think there is a "Lucene standard style".  There's my style,
which accounts for a lot of the code because I wrote a lot of the code.
  But, for example, the German analyzer, which I did not write, is in a
different style.  That's not mayhem, it's just tolerance of diversity.

Doug

Re: recommend astyle as indent tool Re: coding conventions

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I agree, but this tool seems to help with indentation only, but there a
number of other rules that one may want standardized.
Anyhow, I think this discussion about people's favourite source code
formatting tools is probably boring to most people here :)

Otis

Re: coding conventions

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Yeah, forcing is not nice, but even these expectations below is a mild
form of force, and worth documenting, in my opinion.  Not everyone will
know what is expected of them.
Furthermore, consistent coding style, even if not one's favourite
style, makes code easier to read and understand, than code with a mix
of styles.
Anyhow, lets move on... :)

Otis