Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark <mm...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/02 09:52:26 UTC

solved: post commit script doesn't execute

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share this solution since it took me 3 days to
figure out what the hell was wrong. I'm using FC 4 to host my svn and
bugzilla servers. When I added a line in the post commit hook that
calls a perl script, i was puzzled why nothing happened even if i
already provided the right absolute paths. what cought my attention
though, is that even perl scripts in my bugzilla folder didn't execute
as expected except when called manually.

It turns out that calls to perl scripts do not seem to execute when
they're located in /var/www. For example, in my post commit file
contains

/bin/touch /tmp/itsalive
/var/www/svn/somescript.pl
/bin/touch /tmp/itsreallyalive

The first line and third lines execute sucessfully, the second doesn't.

What I did was move the svn repositories from /var/www/svn to
/usr/local/svn and just update http.conf to point to that directory.

My problems are solved now and I am able to sleep soundly again. :-) I
hope this saves someone else from the headaches and sleepless nights i
went through.

Best regards,

Mark

Re: solved: post commit script doesn't execute

Posted by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
> I thought this was going to be a case of RTFM for me, but when I
> checked it out just now, there is no "noexec" option anywhere in
> /etc/fstab. Also, I am able to manually execute perl scripts in
> /var/www/svnrep/hooks.The only case when it doesn't run is when I'm
> testing the hooks via a test commit.
never mind, we had this case once, though not with subversion, that's why
I wanted to throw this into discussion.

Re: solved: post commit script doesn't execute

Posted by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de>.
> It turns out that calls to perl scripts do not seem to execute when
> they're located in /var/www. For example, in my post commit file
You should have a look at your /etc/fstab! Probably there is a "noexec"
option for the device mounted on /var/www.

Marko

Re: solved: post commit script doesn't execute

Posted by Frank Gruman <fg...@verizon.net>.
Mark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just thought I'd share this solution since it took me 3 days to
> figure out what the hell was wrong. I'm using FC 4 to host my svn and
> bugzilla servers. When I added a line in the post commit hook that
> calls a perl script, i was puzzled why nothing happened even if i
> already provided the right absolute paths. what cought my attention
> though, is that even perl scripts in my bugzilla folder didn't execute
> as expected except when called manually.
>
> It turns out that calls to perl scripts do not seem to execute when
> they're located in /var/www. For example, in my post commit file
> contains
>
> /bin/touch /tmp/itsalive
> /var/www/svn/somescript.pl
> /bin/touch /tmp/itsreallyalive
>
> The first line and third lines execute sucessfully, the second doesn't.
>
> What I did was move the svn repositories from /var/www/svn to
> /usr/local/svn and just update http.conf to point to that directory.
>
> My problems are solved now and I am able to sleep soundly again. :-) I
> hope this saves someone else from the headaches and sleepless nights i
> went through.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I ran into that execute problem once when I added a new hard drive to my
server.  It mounted fine, and I could read from it, but I had not given
it the ability to execute anything in the fstab file.  Could that also
be your issue??  I've successfully executed scripts from my /var/www
folder for other maintenance items.

If you got it fixed, wonderful.  I just don't want to lead others down
the wrong path in the future.

Regards,
Frank