Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Newsgroup <ne...@burknet.ch> on 2006/12/28 23:44:47 UTC

META-INF directory for webapps not in classpath

hi maven-users

I've got the following problem: if I'm creating a webapp and put the META-INF directory into "src/main/webapp" the files in it (for example persistence.xml) are NOT on the classpath and therefore my tests are failing, I can't package my project.

if I'm putting the META-INF directory under "src/main/resources", the files are on the classpath, the tests succeed, the WAR file is built.
BUT: if I explode the WAR, my META-INF directory and it's files are under "/WEB-INF/classes/". strange place for META-INF, isn't it?

is it possible to have the files for the META-INF directory on the classpath and copy them on packaging into the correct location (for example "/META-INF/persistence.xml")?

thanks and greetings
stefan

Re: META-INF directory for webapps not in classpath

Posted by Markus Wolf <ma...@emedia-solutions-wolf.de>.
Hi,

> I've got the following problem: if I'm creating a webapp and put the META-INF directory into "src/main/webapp" the files in it (for example persistence.xml) are NOT on the classpath and therefore my tests are failing, I can't package my project.

having META-INF under src/main/resources should be ok.

The files in META-INF does not belong to the java classpath. In jar
files the classpath root contains the META-INF, but in webapps it
differs, since there are libs and classes but not the META-INF in the
classpath. But tools searching for META-INF should have access to it
knowing the locations above (e.g. TopLink Essentials is looking there
manually not using the classpath).

> if I'm putting the META-INF directory under "src/main/resources", the files are on the classpath, the tests succeed, the WAR file is built.
> BUT: if I explode the WAR, my META-INF directory and it's files are under "/WEB-INF/classes/". strange place for META-INF, isn't it?
>
> is it possible to have the files for the META-INF directory on the classpath and copy them on packaging into the correct location (for example "/META-INF/persistence.xml")?

Whats your pom.xml? Especially the part of the resource configuration?
(I think the defaults should be good enought for your requirements)

Markus Wolf

Re: [solved] META-INF directory for webapps not in classpath

Posted by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch>.
hi maven-users

I've found the answer to my problem: I just searched the JPA-specs about the
location of persistence.xml and was quite surprised to read the following:
"The root of the persistence unit is the WEB-INF/classes directory; the
persistence.xml file is therefore contained in the WEB-INF/classes/META-INF
directory."

This means: placing the META-INF folder and the persistence.xml file under
"src/main/resources" so that it is copied to WEB-INF/classes is simply
correct behaviour.

Thanks anyway for your answers
Stefan

Posted by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch>.

Posted by Vinita Joshi <vj...@etouch.net>.
I have my files under src\main\application\META-INF. It is working fine for
me.

Vinita