Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2018/01/18 15:26:34 UTC

What are the plans for supporting Oak 1.8?

I just had to test some code that uses the SlingRepository. Initially I
wanted to test against Oak 1.7 or 1.8 but I found that
org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server is compiled against Oak 1.6 and does not
run with Oak 1.7 or 1.8.

So what is the timeline for Oak 1.8 support in sling? Does it make to start
on this already?

I looked into the differences and found these incompatible changes
regarding the osk.server module :

1.6
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.index.aggregate.NodeAggregator;
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.nodetype.write.InitialContent;
import
org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.whiteboard.WhiteboardIndexEditorProvider;
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.whiteboard.WhiteboardIndexProvider;
all located on oak-core

1.7
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.query.QueryIndex.NodeAggregator; ->
oak-query-spi
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.InitialContent; -> oak-core
import org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.query.WhiteboardIndexProvider; ->
oak-query-spi
import
org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.index.WhiteboardIndexEditorProvider; ->
oak-core

So ideally Oak would provide a compatiblity support in 1.8 to not break
clients at the moment and provide a smooth transition but I am not sure if
that is an option. I will check on the Oak list about that.

For sling I could move the org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server to Oak 1.7 / 1.8
(I hope we can support both). Does it make sense to already do this now on
master or better on a branch? As I am no comitter I will do a PR anyway of
course ..

Btw. One other thing I observed is that org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server
resolves in OSGi with Oak 1.7 but then fails at runtime as it can not find
NodeAggregator. So one other thing we should aim for is to make sure OSGi
gives an error at resolve time if the Oak version does not work for the
sling bundle.

Best
Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Re: What are the plans for supporting Oak 1.8?

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Christian,

On Thu, 2018-01-18 at 16:26 +0100, Christian Schneider wrote:
> For sling I could move the org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server to Oak 1.7
> / 1.8
> (I hope we can support both). Does it make sense to already do this
> now on
> master or better on a branch? As I am no comitter I will do a PR
> anyway of
> course ..

I would welcome this PR. My personal preference is to merge it after we
start releasing Sling 10, as would like to avoid any more churn right
before the release. That should only be a week at most.

> Btw. One other thing I observed is that
> org.apache.sling.jcr.oak.server
> resolves in OSGi with Oak 1.7 but then fails at runtime as it can not
> find
> NodeAggregator. So one other thing we should aim for is to make sure
> OSGi
> gives an error at resolve time if the Oak version does not work for
> the
> sling bundle.

That would be a very good thing, failures at runtime should be avoided.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: What are the plans for supporting Oak 1.8?

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2018-01-18 16:26, Christian Schneider wrote:

FWIW, don't attempt to use Oak 1.7.*, or if you already do so, switch to
Oak 1.8.* as soon as you can.

Oak 1.7.* is

a) unstable

b) not maintained anymore (the next unstable release will be 1.9.0)

Best regards, Julian