Posted to users@libcloud.apache.org by Matt Burgess <ma...@linuxfromscratch.org> on 2013/12/26 21:48:03 UTC

Creating multiple VMs within a vCloud vApp

Hi folks,

I'm really new to libcloud.  I've successfully created a vApp using
create_node() and it contains 1 VM. However, I passed a 2-element list
for the 'ex_vm_names' argument, expecting (in the absence of a 'num_vms'
or similar parameter) that to then create 2 VMs...it didn't.

Does libcloud abstract away the concept of a vApp?  If not, how can I:

a) create a vApp containing multiple VMs
b) Add a new VM to an existing vApp

Thanks,

Matt.

Re: Creating multiple VMs within a vCloud vApp

Posted by Tomaz Muraus <to...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Replies are inline.

On Dec 26, 2013 10:06 PM, "Matt Burgess" <ma...@linuxfromscratch.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-12-26 at 20:48 +0000, Matt Burgess wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm really new to libcloud.  I've successfully created a vApp using
> > create_node() and it contains 1 VM. However, I passed a 2-element list
> > for the 'ex_vm_names' argument, expecting (in the absence of a 'num_vms'
> > or similar parameter) that to then create 2 VMs...it didn't.
> >
> > Does libcloud abstract away the concept of a vApp?  If not, how can I:
> >
> > a) create a vApp containing multiple VMs
>
> This looks to be done via a call to vCloud's composeVApp API.
>
> > b) Add a new VM to an existing vApp
>
> This looks to be done via a call to vCloud's recomposeVApp API.
>
> Neither of those API's look as if they've been implemented in libCloud
> yet; the only mention of them in the source is under the vcloud_1_5 test
> fixtures.
>
> So I guess my next question is: have these not been implemented as
> they'd be specific to vCloud (do other providers have a concept that
> aligns with a vApp)? Or is it just that I'm the first to need to call
> these APIs?  If the latter, I'm willing to take a stab at implementing
> support.

Afaik this functionality is specific to vCloud and most of the other
providers don't have this concept.

Libcloud has a concept of extension methods and arguments which are used to
implement provider specific functionality.

You are welcome to implement this functionality using previously mentioned
extension methods.

Posted by Matt Burgess <ma...@linuxfromscratch.org>.