Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Randy Watler <rw...@finali.com> on 2004/12/02 07:22:23 UTC

J2 /WEB-INF/templates/navigation deprecated

Gang,

David has committed another patch from me that has replaced the
/WEB-INF/templates/navigation infrastructure with general purpose macros
defined as part of decorations. This not only makes the usage of macros more
straight forward, but also facilitates decorator deployment. To make this
happen, multiple VelocityEngine instances, (one per decoration), are now
created and managed by the JetspeedVelocityViewServlet. Decorations that do
not utilize the new macro capability are processed by the default
VelocityEngine singleton that is initialized as before.

I have simplified and transferred what was in the navigation templates and
jetspeed_macros.vm into macro source files that are part of the tigris and
jetspeed layouts. Please refer to the following files for examples of how
this is and can be used:

/WEB-INF/decorations/layout/html/{jetspeed,tigris}/decorator.properties
/WEB-INF/decorations/layout/html/{jetspeed,tigris}/decorator-macros.vm

Of course, other macros can be defined to suite the needs of the decorator!
The jetspeed_macros.vm file is still included in the macro path for all
VelocityEngines. However, only truely global macros should be defined there!

The caching of VelocityEngine is controlled by init params for the
JetspeedVelocityViewServlet located in /WEB-INF/web.xml. By default, the
implementation will cache up to 25 VelocityEngines and check every 10
seconds for updates to the decorators.

I am now attempting to blow the dust off of the existing decoration
deployment code and get it running for M1. As usual, questions and feedback
are always welcome.

Randy