Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com> on 2001/10/02 06:40:20 UTC

JTC and Tomcat 4

Hi,

As some of you may have noticed, Tomcat 4 is starting to depend on some
modules from the J-T-C repository. The problem is that it creates in some
cases some circular dependencies for some build options. The number of the
dependencies is also expected to go up in the future, including: JK, the new
Java HTTP/1.1 connector, the util package, and the webapp connector.

There are 3 solutions that we can use:
- Duplicate the code. Given the amount of code, I'm -1 with that solution.
- Integrate building these components into the Tomcat 4 build process.
That's probably the most elegant solution, but unfortunately it's tricky to
pull that off (and I tried ...).
- Put the JARs for these modules in the Tomcat 4 CVS (the lib directory
looks like a good candidate for this), based on stable (and tagged or
branched) versions of each component.

I would choose the 3rd solution, since it is simpler, while getting the job
done.

Remy

Re: JTC and Tomcat 4

Posted by Christopher Cain <cc...@mhsoftware.com>.
Quoting Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>:

> Hi,
>
> As some of you may have noticed, Tomcat 4 is starting to depend on
> some
> modules from the J-T-C repository. The problem is that it creates in
> some
> cases some circular dependencies for some build options. The number of
> the
> dependencies is also expected to go up in the future, including: JK, the
> new
> Java HTTP/1.1 connector, the util package, and the webapp connector.
>
> There are 3 solutions that we can use:
>
> - Duplicate the code. Given the amount of code, I'm -1 with that
> solution.

Agreed. -1

> - Integrate building these components into the Tomcat 4 build process.
> That's probably the most elegant solution, but unfortunately it's tricky
> to pull that off (and I tried ...).
>
> - Put the JARs for these modules in the Tomcat 4 CVS (the lib
> directory
> looks like a good candidate for this), based on stable (and tagged or
> branched) versions of each component.
>
> I would choose the 3rd solution, since it is simpler, while getting the
> job done.

I agree that #2 is the cleanest solution. I also agree that #3 is more than
adequate and probably much easier. Since it's not really my department, I'm
fine with either solution. Whatever you think, sport :)

- Christopher

/**
 * Pleurez, pleurez, mes yeux, et fondez vous en eau!
 * La moitiƩ de ma vie a mis l'autre au tombeau.
 *    ---Corneille
 */

Re: JTC and Tomcat 4

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@tagish.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As some of you may have noticed, Tomcat 4 is starting to depend on some
> modules from the J-T-C repository. The problem is that it creates in some
> cases some circular dependencies for some build options. The number of the
> dependencies is also expected to go up in the future, including: JK, the new
> Java HTTP/1.1 connector, the util package, and the webapp connector.

How complex are the dependencies? Superficially it doesn't seem that TC
4 should depend on the connectors.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish