Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/26 02:03:22 UTC

documentation experiment: The Mesos Book

I've heard several folks mention the need to improve documentation for
Mesos. I kicked off a little experimental book. There's almost zero
content so far (and what exists is cut-and-pasted from existing public
docs), I'm just looking for feedback on my approach. Check it out!

  https://github.com/meonkeys/the-mesos-book

Thoughts?

The idea would be to port all existing stable documentation into this
book.  It would become the most complete and best reference for Mesos
users (perhaps developers, too). Other documentation sources would still
exist such as in-the-code API docs and fluid/collaborative docs (wiki
pages).

I went with Pandoc Markdown because I read and enjoyed The Little
MongoDB Book by Karl Seguin
(http://openmymind.net/2011/3/28/The-Little-MongoDB-Book/ ,
https://github.com/karlseguin/the-little-mongodb-book ). I've also read
quite a bit of Scott Chacon's awesome book Pro Git ( http://progit.org ,
https://github.com/progit/progit ), which is similarly written in
Markdown and processed into other beautiful formats using software tools.

Re: move mesos/mesos wiki pages on github into svn

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Adam,

On 3/4/13 11:31 AM, "Adam Monsen" <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 03/04/2013 11:15 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>> My point is, if we have to type all of this email around making
>> documentation, then there's a problem. If the barrier to contribute
>> documentation requires 10 different tools, in different places, there
>> is a problem.
>
>I totally agree with your points, Chris!
>
>Was there something specific in what I recommended that you're providing
>constructive criticism of?

Mainly your disagreement to my point about it being way too much work based
on what was outlined for the documentation. I was simply saying KISS
principles
apply :) IOW, reading multiple paragraphs about what had to be done to
update
documentation was worrying me, that's all :)

Seems like you've got it figured out and can contribute, etc., and docs
are
being produced, and nothing much else to see here, so I'll move right
along.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Instead of directly emailing the replier, and then CC'ing the dev
list, I prefer to direct
the TO: part of the message to the dev list. I assume you and Ben H. are
already subscribed to *-dev.

Re: move mesos/mesos wiki pages on github into svn

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 03/04/2013 11:15 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> My point is, if we have to type all of this email around making
> documentation, then there's a problem. If the barrier to contribute
> documentation requires 10 different tools, in different places, there
> is a problem.

I totally agree with your points, Chris!

Was there something specific in what I recommended that you're providing
constructive criticism of?

My aim is/was to help consolidate the documentation as well as improve it.

Re: move mesos/mesos wiki pages on github into svn

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Adam, TL;DR

My point is, if we have to type all of this email around making
documentation, then
there's a problem. If the barrier to contribute documentation requires 10
different tools,
in different places, there is a problem.

This is based on my own personal experience, having been at the Foundation
since 2005.

I'll leave it at that.

Chris

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 03/04/2013 07:45 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> My honest observation here is that this is way too much work for
> documentation :)

I disagree.

Re: move mesos/mesos wiki pages on github into svn (was: documentation experiment: The Mesos Book)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Adam,

My honest observation here is that this is way too much work for
documentation :)

How about just starting small, doing things incrementally, etc.?

I think it will make the onus on the existing PPMC a ton easier --
remember the goal here is
to do things in small, easily reversible steps (at least that will garner
the most
positivity along the way I believe).

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: documentation experiment: The Mesos Book

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
IMHO having your documentation editable and living in a repository is much
more manageable than via an external wiki. It enables someone to both make
changes to some code/interface AND make changes to the documentation in the
same commit! By encouraging this as well we can keep our documentation much
more up to date than if it were to live in a separate place. The other nice
property of storing documentation in the repository is that we can "freeze"
it with releases so that people can get accurate documentation for whatever
version they are working with (without lots of noise in the documentation).

If the project wasn't mirrored at github.com/apache/mesos then I'd suggest

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 03/03/2013 09:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> 1. The canonical bits for documentation for Apache Mesos (incubating) need
> to live on Apache hardware.

Yep, agreed.

> 2. To help with #1, you file JIRA issues, and submit documentation
> patches, and then one of the PPMC
> and/or committers on the project will work with you to get them into the
> sources, with you earning merit
> along the way. Apache is a meritocracy and so long as you are operating in
> a friendly, meritocratic way, the PPMC may recognize you for your work and
> invite you to be part of the PPMC on the project.

Yep, sounds good!

Chris, we've already moved all docs from github into the ASF-hosted
Mesos SVN repository.

Did you see these two mailing list messages?

* comment on MESOS-69, (which can probably be closed):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-mesos-dev/201303.mbox/%3CJIRA.12530808.1320805617429.373037.1362352632489%40arcas%3E

* "ship it" on review 9664:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-mesos-dev/201303.mbox/%3C20130303194011.27098.94622%40reviews.apache.org%3E

Re: documentation experiment: The Mesos Book

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Adam,

I think what Ben is saying is that:

1. The canonical bits for documentation for Apache Mesos (incubating) need
to live on Apache hardware.
Looking at Mesos's Incubating page we've got a wiki and a web page:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/mesos.html

Those would be the best candidates to start from.

2. To help with #1, you file JIRA issues, and submit documentation
patches, and then one of the PPMC
and/or committers on the project will work with you to get them into the
sources, with you earning merit
along the way. Apache is a meritocracy and so long as you are operating in
a friendly, meritocratic way, the PPMC may recognize you for your work and
invite you to be part of the PPMC on the project.

HTH.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Adam Monsen <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ben,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Ben, great job pointing this out to Adam.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
Hey Adam!