Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Ilan Ginzburg <il...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/02 22:56:15 UTC

Future of Overseer

A note about Overseer, since the fact that we want to eventually remove it
got mentioned twice in the node roles SIP email thread: in Solr 9 the
Overseer is there by default, unchanged, but two config parameters allow to
not use it for cluster state updates and collection API command executions
(i.e. what the overseer does). Then it only serves some light features that
got added over time (singleton event related).

So it’s already gone as “overseer” for whoever want it gone. This hasn’t
been battle tested yet though (not that I know of at least), so caution
needed.

But this is unrelated to the node role thread (there has to be a way to
deal with tagging a node as preferred overseer, using existing or new
mechanism), just thought I’d mention this.

Ilan