Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by João Saleiro <jo...@webfuel.pt> on 2012/02/06 11:17:25 UTC

Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

On 06-02-2012 09:54, David Arno wrote:
> I struggle with this philosophy. The idea of spending time writing code to
> then find out whether people like the idea is very alien to me.

I would suggest the creation "working groups" attached to different
initiatives related to Apache Flex. I'm sure yet how much how like this
idea, but considering how big the SDK is, the amount of teamwork and
cooperation needed, and the big number of different initiatives that
will appear (some complementing each other, others completely
disruptive), I would suggest we could arrange a solution that would help
us organize better - creating a working group per initiative could help.
What do I mean by an initiaive? (Fictional) Examples: (1) building the
next minor version of the SDK (2) building the next major version of the
SDK/adding framework-level DI (3) building from scratch a new simpler
SDK meant for exporting to javascript (4) implementing missing Spark
components (5) creating a Spark Scheduling framework (6) [....]

Existing initiatives would be listed in a page on the wiki ("Currently
we're working on:") and each one would have:

(1) a wiki section used by that working group to document progress,
specifications, etc
(2) a list of the people that are/were involved in that initiative
(3) an area in the whiteboard for sharing code that would be imported to
the trunk after accepted
(4) a specific subject [TAG] so it could help everyone organizing the
Mailing List in topics. Another option would be a different Mailing List
for each initiative - it would reduce the S/N level but then it wouldn't
enable coordination between initiatives

Also, while we wait to have everything in our side, I think we could be
doing some progress in:

(1) completing the missing Spark components (Carol, could you share them
in the whiteboard?)
(2) doing some research on what would be needed to create a version of
the SDK meant for cross-compiling to JS. In other words, creating a
checklist what would and wouldn't work, what are the risks, what
features of HTML could we take advantage of, how could we change Spark
architecture so it was optimized for HTML, what to do with embedded
assets, etc

Just my two cents.

João Saleiro

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by João Saleiro <jo...@webfuel.pt>.
On 06-02-2012 10:17, João Saleiro wrote:

> I would suggest the creation "working groups" attached to different
> initiatives related to Apache Flex. I'm sure yet how much how like
> this idea, but considering how big the SDK is, the amount of teamwork
> and cooperation needed, and the big number of different

(I'm sorry for the typos on the previous email, I accidentally pressed
Send before reviewing it :o) )

 > I would suggest the creation *of* "working groups" attached to
different initiatives related to Apache Flex. I'm *not* sure yet how
much *I* like this idea, but considering how big the SDK is, the amount

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>wrote:

> On 07/02/2012 00:41, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
>
>> I'd throw my code up on GitHub and start collaborating with devs there
>> until you have something you want to donate or discuss.
>>
> This means you suggest that people do not collaborate here but rather on
> github?

What I mean to say is that if you are not a committer, and you want to
share your code with others and collaborate and said code, then you will
need a repository that you can use to coordinate with other devs, whom may
also not be committers, on your same code. I am not saying you must do
this, this is just what I would do if I wanted to collaborate with people
on code I wanted to donate to Apache but I wasn't working directly with a
committer or a committer myself. I would do this until I either a.) became
a committer, or b.) PPMC accepted my donation.

-omar

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 07/02/2012 00:41, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
> I'd throw my code up on GitHub and start collaborating with devs there
> until you have something you want to donate or discuss.
This means you suggest that people do not collaborate here but rather on
github?
> But if we try to discuss every idea, log it to a wiki, recruit devs,
> and then start something then we would never get shit done. -omar
I don't think we need to discuss every idea in the mailing list and in a
wiki. Small ones will definitely fit in Jira just fine. But mailing-list
threads in the length of x-hundred entries are not helping the overview
of the project.

yours
Martin.

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Monday, February 6, 2012, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 23:28, Jonathan Campos wrote:
>>
>> Why do you need consensus just to get started?
>
> Just to clearify: I meant "getting the consensus" as in "understanding
what the current consensus on the mailinglist is".
> In other words: Its easy to discuss something on the ml but difficult to
find out what has been discussed about and what the outcome is.
> That is unfortunate for a third party as they will have no idea what is
really talked about.

> cheers!
> Martin.

I don't see any sensible way to keep a log of everything we've talked
about. Talk is cheap and Apache is a JFDI type of mentality, if you really
want to start on something just fucking do it and when you have code to
talk about, even the smallest bit, then we actually have something to talk
about. If I wasn't a committer I'd throw my code up on GitHub and start
collaborating with devs there until you have something you want to donate
or discuss. But if we try to discuss every idea, log it to a wiki, recruit

Posted by Arnoud Bos <ar...@artim-interactive.nl>.
On Feb 6, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Jeffry Houser wrote:

> On 2/6/2012 12:26 PM, Arnoud Bos wrote:
>> Hi Omar,
>>
>> yes it technically is like a README
>>
>> The difference would be that you don't have to check out files from svn to check what
>> is going on in the different whiteboards.
> I thought that the SVN was web browsable.  And presumably you can read a text file w/o checking out code.

yes browsable it is! and it's also true is that you can open a README.txt of a whiteboard via the SVN web browse.
but is it easy searchable like a wiki? i cannot find a search form. Maybe i'm missing something but AFAIK you have to wade trough every project
(which will be many i hope!) to find out id someone is working on for example validators in his /her whiteboard. Other option would be
becoming a member of the list of course and ask...

Anyway, in my idea adding a wiki to a whiteboard was about lowering barriers. Finding stuff easy. Maybe i'm lazy :-)

> To me it seems like a lot of work to maintain such info in two places.
>
> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> 203-379-0773
> --
> http://www.flextras.com?c=104
> http://www.theflexshow.com
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> http://www.asktheflexpert.com
> --
> Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Arnoud Bos
Artim interactive

E  arnoud@artim-interactive.nl
W  www.artim-interactive.nl
T  +31 6 246 40 216
A  Elisabeth Wolffstraat 77-3
   1053TT Amsterdam

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/2012 12:26 PM, Arnoud Bos wrote:
>
>> Hi Omar,
>>
>> yes it technically is like a README
>>
>> The difference would be that you don't have to check out files from svn
>> to check what
>> is going on in the different whiteboards.
>>
>  I thought that the SVN was web browsable.  And presumably you can read a
> text file w/o checking out code.
>
>  To me it seems like a lot of work to maintain such info in two places.
>
> --
> Jeffry Houser
> Technical Entrepreneur
> 203-379-0773
> --
> http://www.flextras.com?c=104
> http://www.theflexshow.com
> http://www.jeffryhouser.com
> http://www.asktheflexpert.com
> --
> Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

Agreed, and yea the repositories are web browseable:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/flex/whiteboard/mschmalle/mobile-popups/README.txt?view=markup

-omar

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Arnoud Bos <ar...@artim-interactive.nl>.
Hi Omar,

yes it technically is like a README

The difference would be that you don't have to check out files from svn to check what
is going on in the different whiteboards.

it's just a way to lower the barrier on getting info on the project. Many people are watching
the project. But those that are interested my not do a svn checkout just to see what is happening.
Also might  trigger people to join in faster as they might discover something via the wiki of their interest.

As the number of whiteboards will probably grow there will not be an easy way to see what is happening on each one.
I would love to see such low barrier transparency. But it's not a must i agree.

Arnoud

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric Thomas <we...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you for that precision, I gonna push my work on github later today
(it's 4:30 AM here).
It still remains something, how to make know and redirect folks who would
like to help if there's no place to do it ?

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric Thomas <we...@hotmail.com>.
Actually, I could put my code on Github and open a discussion on the ML but
I do not think this is the best place because it would talk about very
technical things on a particular sub-project, currently, the topics here are
discussed in a more general way than what I want to be able to discussed, in
more, for newcomers, it is a pain to find out a particular subject of
interest, the wiki seems a good place to start and redirect the people, but
where ?

IMO, there should be a dedicated space, if it is not here, it should at
least be a place not spread as you suggested (that is to say, personal blog
+ repository), but centralized, can be Spoon could bring a solution ?  I
don't know, why not, I am registered since the beginning but nothing has yet
been proposed publicly in that direction AFAIK.

Posted by Jeffry Houser <je...@dot-com-it.com>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 07/02/2012 04:37, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
> ... way things are done at Apache, so trying to allow for that level of
> collaboration doesn't fit the model.
I totally agree! And to me it was very important that you said that! I
had a completely different picture in my mind before that.

> What I think would make finding all of these projects would then to list
> those somewhere...

This is where i could see Spoon jump in. They already want to handle the
community groups. So why not draw a clear line here:
Apache Flex handles the current source code: Input is gathered via Jira
from a bunch of external madness that runs in <insert community
here>(managed by Spoon) where developers can find mentoring in the sense
of: "Your idea is
awesome/out-of-date/inappropriate/duplicate/not-in-shape-yet" and "We
help you find a-fruitful-path/friends/help/a-good-style". Like a global
"pre-submit" arena that works as a community.

> If you do this enough eventually you will end up
> getting voted in as a new committer and then you can work directly in your
> own whiteboard.
Why would I use the whiteboard as a commiter? Isn't it bad for
sharing/collaborating with non-commiters?

In short: I would love to have a good place where I could talk about
ideas related to the flex sdk and have my code also posted -
collaborate. For that I would need something that is good at this ...
like github. With another "management central" somewhere that knows what
is roughly going on. Spoon.as sounds better for that than Apache.

yours
Martin.

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>wrote:

> The workflow is okay to me. I just came to the conclusion that we don't
> have a good platform here to talk about code that might not be commited
> (what is momentarily done in the whiteboard folder. I think omars
> suggestion to do this sort of community work "not here" is not a bad idea.
> The day before yesterday
> Spoon.as team said that they want to do community work (like listing the
> things that are going on). I think that Spoon.as could jump in and give
> those rants a place to feel home.
>
> yours
> Martin.

Its not so much that we can't have discussions about code here, this is
where we should be having those discussions. The thing is that with
something like a whiteboard where you want to develop ideas in an adhoc
manner where you are open to accept code patches/commits from anyone that
wants to including non-committers than you need a way to manage all of
that. Giving SVN access to thousands of developers is just not the way
things are done at Apache, so trying to allow for that level of
collaboration doesn't fit the model.

However, as a non-committer, this is exactly why I would turn to GitHub. On
GitHub you have the ability to include anyone as you see fit and
collaborate with as many people as you want. There are facilities for
sending and receiving patch requests, code reviews, messaging between devs,
etc, that can be easily managed by you without the overhead of having to
try to add hundreds if not thousands of SVN committers to the Apache
repository. Once you have an idea fleshed out to a point where it can be
discussed you can create Gists on GitHub or commit examples and everyone
can discuss it on the mailing list if you a.) need feedback from the entire
community, or b.) want to contribute it to the Apache Flex repository
because you've set up an idea far enough where we can bring it in to the
SDK. You would have Wikis to add as much info and documentation as you
want, collaboratively, easily as well.

What I think would make finding all of these projects would then to list
those somewhere on the Apache Flex site as maybe an ideas in progress
section or something along those lines that indicates here are a bunch of
community projects in progress that are trying to solidify themselves
enough to get included either into a committer's whiteboard or as a
donation to the SDK. If you do this enough eventually you will end up
getting voted in as a new committer and then you can work directly in your
own whiteboard.

This is just my understanding of how Apache works and what I would do if I
had not been selected as a committer from the start. As they say, just my
.02.

-omar

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
2012/2/6 João Fernandes <jo...@gmail.com>

> Am I the only non-committer that finds the current Apache workflow
> acceptable?
>
> Whiteboards should only be managed by PPMC in my opinion and non-committers
> should propose patches to existing whiteboards. If there isn't any
> whiteboard working on what they want to contribute, they should create some
> repository (github or svn) elsewhere and announce in the mailinglist to see
> if there are people interested in working in the same project.
>
> I agree that eventually a list of "community whiteboards" could be listed
> in the flex wiki page as long it doesn't become a burden to maintain.
>
> João Fernandes

I agree with you Joao, if you use GitHub you'll have everything you need to
collaborate with as many people as you want to get an idea going. You can
recruit teammates on this list. Develop your idea, make wikis, log issues,
manage features, wishlists, and when a project is at a state where you want
to donate you can, or if you want to review it anyone in the community can.
Once something gets voted in by PPMC as a donation we can bring it into a
whiteboard or the SDK, depending on how that pans out. But if I were not a
committer, I would have posted my validators on GitHub instead of the
Apache repository and posted on this list to get feedback, recruit team
members and get it to where I can donate it.

-omar

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Long delayed response... Sounds good.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
We created something similar to that for the bugquash and have thought
about reviving it for this. We are making sure not to spread ourselves too
thin. You could always join up with spoon and take the lead on that.

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
I should have prefaced that with "rant". The thing is it isn't just the
source code. It's the previous Adobe Flex project and now it's the Apache
Flex project. It's the early stages of the project and there are people
that want to help set it up, to take time out of their day, to make more
accessible to themselves and others in the future.

So they want to help but they can't. And they get exhausted and they get
deterred and they try to explain this and they get deterred again. :P

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Frédéric Thomas <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Arnoud,

[...]

because nothing is done for us in order to participate, I started things on

?

Posted by Arnoud Bos <ar...@artim-interactive.nl>.

Posted by João Saleiro <jo...@webfuel.pt>.

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>wrote:

> In other words: Its easy to discuss something on the ml but difficult to
> find out what has been discussed about and what the outcome is.
> That is unfortunate for a third party as they will have no idea what is
> really talked about.

Wouldn't that fit better in the whiteboard folder? Or maybe if we set up a
wiki by whiteboard folder I would be okay with that. My issue is the
"officialness" of a wiki saying "this is what we are doing in this way" and
someone feeling that since their idea doesn't fit in that way that they
shouldn't get started.

--
Jonathan Campos

Re: Creating Working Groups [Was: Apache Flex suggestion - dumping SWF support in favor of HTML5 - listen to Steve]

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Posted by João Saleiro <jo...@webfuel.pt>.
On 06-02-2012 14:28, Jonathan Campos wrote:
> Why do you need consensus just to get started? I think this thinking on the
> ml is continually crippling are our output.
I started this discussion to see if it was possible to provide
"sandboxes" to each separate initiative, so groups of people can
organize around each initiative. Since there is not a common roadmap and
anyone can have their own idea, many people will be pushing Flex in
their different directions (which is a good thing).

The current model is nice if there is no disruption from what we have
and everyone is creating small features here and there. But I currently
see people wanting to invest time in completely parallel ideas: (1)
Making Flex reach 4.7  (2) Refactoring the framework to make it more
lightweight and modular - Flex 5? (3) Researching and implementing
solutions for exporting the existing SDK to JS/HTML5 (4) Building a new
SDK from scratch specifically designed to target HTML/JS (5) add your
idea here.

Until now, we've seen many people proposing either one of the above
topics, with enough energy to start working on it. Instead of answers
like "well, I might not agree completely, but here you have: share your
vision in this wiki, put the code here, and start working on it (and
remember that there's a risk we might not accept it)", we're just seeing
answers like "No, I don't agree", "Yes, I agree". Let's give these
people resources to start working on their ideas, and to help others who
believe on them work together around the same objective.

Imagine I just subscribed to the ML. I'll start by reading a couple of
emails in the history, but I won't read 2 or 3 thousand emails for sure.
I have an idea for something I would like to work on, so I send an email
suggesting it. I don't have a clue if someone else is already working on
it. In the model I'm suggesting, either:

(1) someone already had a similar idea, so people would simply answer by
indicating the wiki page URL, that would have some info (vision,
roadmap, specifications) on that idea, the respective branch, and a
listing of the persons currently involved
(2) it's a new idea and there's a positive feeling around it so I get
the resources to start my own sub-project. Other people might join later.

If we don't provide tools to help people with disruptive ideas
organizing in groups, they'll simply get those tools outside of Apache
and probably discuss and work outside of Apache, and then bring them in
when they feel it's ready. Not that this is a bad thing, but I would
prefer it if was easier to keep self-organizing groups of persons with a
similar idea as close as possible to Apache.

For example, I have a disruptive idea for Flex that I would like to work
on in a mid-term future. It's a completely different one from what has
been discussed before, and while many people will relate to my vision
and be willing to join, many other might be completely against it. If I
decide to start working on it and others want to join, should I get a
wiki+branch+Jira project+ML outside of Apache (which means, I'm working
outside of Apache...), or should I use the existing resources (that are
all dedicated to one single huge project, so I'll be generating unwanted
noise for all those who don't share my vision) ?
What if we consider a solution that involves providing easily resources
to each sub-project (a codename, access to a part of the wiki, a folder
in the SVN, a JIRA project, and a ML [Tag] (for filtering)) ? This way,
everytime someone joins the ML and says "I want to see Flex exporting to
HTML5", we'll simply say "ok, here's the link to wiki page for that
sub-project, here's where you commit code, here's where you track the
issues, and if you send emails related to that subject add the
[HTML5EXPORT] tag to the subject"...

Posted by Jonathan Campos <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Jira isn't well set-up for that. No wiki markup etc. Also it requires
more privileges to edit jira entries and combine jira entries which
would make it comfortable to work with it. Also I feel like Jira is like
"please give us that" while a wiki feels like "lets add that together".
Makes it easier to provide different things.

I think its not so much about feature than more about concept. Some
concepts are so "big" that they need some sort of overview that is
allowed to change over time. All not really characteristics of a Jira note.

Discussing on the ml is fine, but getting the current consensus is
difficult. I don't want to re-step a 40 page discussion to find out what
one feature is about.

yours
Martin

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hello Joao,

good thinking! I am already trying to write up my proposal for the wiki.
Uhm: Do I need to be PPMC member to work on something?

yours
Martin