Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mathias De Maré <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/03 15:38:54 UTC

Task process exit with nonzero status of 255

I'm getting a rather cryptic error while running a Map job with
MultithreadedMapper (no idea if it has anything to do with the
MultithreadedMapper).
It only occurs sometimes, occurs at different times during the Map
(sometimes at the start, sometimes at a random location), and it doesn't
really give any information.

Task Id : attempt_200908031207_0009_m_000000_0, Status : FAILED
java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255.
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:418)

I'm a bit at a loss. The only results I'm finding from Google are a few
other people who have had the same problem, but nobody with a solution.

Mathias De Maré

Re: Task process exit with nonzero status of 255

Posted by Mathias De Maré <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! Because of your information, I managed to find out that my crashes
have to do with the somewhat standard 'Too many open files'.
I added some 'close' and 'disconnect' to my InputStreams and
HttpURLConnections, but that only works up to a certain point.
The strange thing is that I do execute 'ulimit -n 32768', but I'm thinking
it somehow 'won't' stick.
The other alternative is that Hadoop is using 32768 file descriptors, but
that seems a bit over the top, as I'm using at most 200 threads (each of
which only sets up one HttpURLConnection).

Suggestions are welcome :-)

Posted by Jason Venner <ja...@gmail.com>.