Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/24 15:05:28 UTC

twin issues on Jira OAK-13 and OAK-57

Hi gang,

I'm wondering about 2 issues that are talking about the same refactoring
task [0] and [1].

There is still a bunch of code there.
Is there any update on the oak-core 'mk' package?

As far as I'm concerned, the index code that references this package is
separated under a package named 'o.a.j.oak.plugins.index.old' and is not in
use by oak-core.

thanks,
alex

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-13
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-57

Re: twin issues on Jira OAK-13 and OAK-57

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Yes, it can be removed as soon as the b-tree stuff is migrated - but not
before that :-)

Regards,
Thomas

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Alex Parvulescu
<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering about 2 issues that are talking about the same refactoring
> task [0] and [1].

I resolved OAK-57 as a duplicate of OAK-13.

> There is still a bunch of code there.
> Is there any update on the oak-core 'mk' package?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the index code that references this package is
> separated under a package named 'o.a.j.oak.plugins.index.old' and is not in
> use by oak-core.

Right. In revision 1402075 I moved the o.a.j.mk packages in oak-core
to under o.a.j.oak.plugins.index.old.mk. We can remove the code once
we've migrated all the remaining functionality (like the b-tree stuff)
to work with the NodeState model.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: twin issues on Jira OAK-13 and OAK-57

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 24.10.12 17:13, Alex Parvulescu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "used for testing".
> It has some unit tests, but other than that, it has no central role in
> testing, removing it doesn't cause a disturbance in the force.

+1 for removing it.

Michael

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Alex Parvulescu
<al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "used for testing".
> It has some unit tests, but other than that, it has no central role in
> testing, removing it doesn't cause a disturbance in the force.

Except hundreds lines of code crying out in terror and being suddenly
removed. It'll be like something terrible happening. ;-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: twin issues on Jira OAK-13 and OAK-57

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

>I'm not sure what you mean by "used for testing".

I mean used for manual testing. I'm planning to use it for some manual
testing, and I thought others use it as well or plan to use it. I also
want to run some benchmarks to find out if a Lucene index or the property
index is faster.

>It has some unit tests

I wan't talking about that is has unit tests.

>removing it doesn't cause a disturbance in the force.

If even a butterfly can cause a hurricane [1], think about what removing
this code could result in :-)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

Regards,
Thomas

Re: twin issues on Jira OAK-13 and OAK-57

Posted by Alex Parvulescu <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Thomas Mueller <mu...@adobe.com>.
Hi,