Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de> on 2003/01/21 16:54:41 UTC

Light Weight JDO Implementation?

Greetings,

I was wondering if there was a JDO implementation in the planning stages.

I know, you are probably going to answer, "Go look at OJB." However, to face reality, OJB was started and an OMG data mapping implementation. It is far too big to be warped into a world class JDO implementation. The code volume alone is rather staggering. Hence the reason I suggest that Jakarta start a project into developing a clean, fast, and über-compliant JDO implementation.

Thoughts?

-- Derisor

Re: Light Weight JDO Implementation?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Robert Simmons wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I was wondering if there was a JDO implementation in the planning stages.

Not heard of any group at Apache doing so except the OJB people.

> I know, you are probably going to answer, "Go look at OJB." However,
> to face reality, OJB was started and an OMG data mapping
> implementation. It is far too big to be warped into a world class JDO
> implementation. The code volume alone is rather staggering. Hence the
> reason I suggest that Jakarta start a project into developing a clean,
> fast, and �ber-compliant JDO implementation.
>
> Thoughts?

If you've got such a project, then I'm sure db.apache.org would be happy
to consider such a thing, even if the OJB people are also working on it.
However, unless someone here has an itch to do such a thing, or someone
comes to Apache with such a project and would like to go through the
incubation stage and join the Apache foundation, then you're not going to
see such a thing.

Hen