Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au> on 2014/03/28 10:59:59 UTC

maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Hi,Occasionally we have a need to perform a formal release on unfinished work
so it can be tracked.These snapshot releases would in effect be releases
identical to a formal release with the exception that the snapshot for a set
release is tagged with a time stamp when released into archiva's snapshot
repository.We used to get around this by issuing the mvn clean
release:prepare release:perform where we overwrite the proposed/suggested
release at the prompt by qualifying the release number followed by appending
"-SNAPSHOT"The build would be done identical to a formal release where the
scm branch is created for the snapshot in  our svn source repo and the built
snapshot would be released into our internal "snapshot" repo (oppose to
formal non snapshot releases that ends up in the "releases" repo)This used
to work really well but recently I don't seem to be able to overwrite the
version at the prompt - when I do it simple prompts me again
<http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/file/n5789837/release-version-prompt-v.2.5.jpg>
It's a weird one - this have been proven to be working previously but
suddenly it don't seem to work any more.The release plugin i currently use
is v2.5 - in the past I used v 2.2.2 successfully.By reverting back to
v2.2.2 of org.apache.maven.plugins.maven.release-plugin this work perfectly
<http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/file/n5789837/release-version-prompt-v2.2.2.jpg>
Is this a known issue and is it linked to v2.5 of the maven release plugin
?I can do snapshot releases using mvn clean install deploy but that would
not branch tag the source and would not generate site infoBottom line - does
anyone know how this can be done using the most recent maven-release-plugin?

Re: maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
You don't mention Release Candidate of Milestone Releases.
It seems that some of the versions that are going through to integration
and end-user testing might fit these categories.
These were mentioned earlier in this thread but seemed to have been
skipped in the discussion as your process got better described.

Ron

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Posted by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
So if I understand correctly you want to use SNAPSHOTs because:
- you don't want the artifact to end up in the "releases"-repository yes,
because QA needs to be done first
- SNAPSHOTs are cleaned up automatically, so if QA doesn't accept a
release, it's cleaned up for you.

The SNAPSHOT usage here is some kind of workaround if there would only be
exactly 1 releases-repository. (assuming you're using a repository manager
like Nexus, Artifactory or Archiva [1]).
However, nowadays repo manager have features to be able to cope with this
kind of problems.
What you are looking for is "staging": a concept where you release your
artifacts to the QA-repository. If they accept it, they push it to the
next repository, ... until it is pushed to the company-repository, ready
to be used by everyone.
If one of the testing departments doesn't accept a version, the stage is
destroyed and the artifact won't be available anymore.
AFAIK all these repo managers support staging, however for some you have
to pay. (Or there are ways to fake staging, i.e. downloading from one repo
and uploading to the other...)

The QA should never accept that they test a SNAPSHOT. If they accept it,
they should also test the released version, just because it is a new
distribution.

Google a bit more for "artifact repository" + "staging", which is a proven
concept which seems to match your requirements.

regards,
Robert

[1] http://maven.apache.org/repository-management.html

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Let me join this thread, because that "someone" is me. As said by Stephen:
> the version handling prior to 2.4 contained several issues, so you were
> relying on a bug.

Reminds me of this classic XKCD... :)
https://xkcd.com/1172/

Wayne

Re: maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Let me join this thread, because that "someone" is me. As said by Stephen:
the version handling prior to 2.4 contained several issues, so you were
relying on a bug.
This has all been done as part of MRELEASE-511[1] and related issues.

There is no such thing as a "formal SNAPSHOT": it's a formal release or a
SNAPSHOT, not both.
If you want the release to be formal, use version patterns with alpha,
beta, milestone or release candidate as supported by Maven (through
Aether)[2]
If you want to  upload to the SNAPSHOT repository, just "deploy" the
development version
If you want a tag/branch, either use release:branch, scm:branch or
scm:tag[3]
Keep in mind: the difference in behavior between a release and a SNAPSHOT.
And versions are considered cheap nowadays.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-511
[2]
http://sonatype.github.io/sonatype-aether/apidocs/org/sonatype/aether/util/version/GenericVersionScheme.html
[3] http://maven.apache.org/scm/maven-scm-plugin/

Posted by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
release:branch -> yes, release:prepare -> no

Posted by "James Nord (jnord)" <jn...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
You do know you are not allowed to release a version containing a -SNAPSHOT
don't you?

Posted by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au>.
Sorry for that - I was just in the process of updating this.... a simple
copy/paste mistake

I am using 2.5 when the problem occur - as illustrated on the image below

<http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/file/n5789868/release-version-prompt-v.2.5-w.version.jpg>

As you can see the prompt "What is the release version for " ... keep coming
back - v2.5 does not accept me overwriting this.

Using v.2.2.2 allow me to overwrite this with anything that then takes me to

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On 28 March 2014 11:12, ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au>wrote:

> <version>2.2.2</version>

Then you are not using version 2.5

Re: maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Posted by ghostwolf59 <ma...@commerce.wa.gov.au>.
I don't think this issue have been rectified.

The maven release plugin I use (downloaded from maven central via my plugin)
is as follows...

This fail:

			<plugin>
 				<artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
 				<version>2.2.2</version>
				<configuration>
					<tagBase>{my svn url and path}/${project.artifactId}/releases</tagBase>
 				</configuration>
 			</plugin>

This work:
			<plugin>
				<artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>
				<version>2.2.2</version>
				<configuration>
					<tagBase>{my svn url and path}/${project.artifactId}/releases</tagBase>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>

The clean - as I understand it - would ensure you always have a clean
workspace derived from the remote source at release time - removing the
chance that someone committed something between now and when I perform my
release - that makes perfect sense to me and is a good safeguard

Re: maven release-plugin 2.5 bug - releasing snapshots...

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
Weird, many users reported the 2.5 had fixed their issues.

What (version) are you actually using for:
* maven
* maven-release-plugin (triple-check you hadn't redefined maven-scm-*
dependency somewhere)
* svn ? Git ? Something else ?

On a unrelated subject : issuing a "mvn clean install deploy" command shows
a tiny misunderstanding of how Maven works. You're asking maven to install
twice (said differently "deploy" already includes the steps from "install").

Cheers

: