Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2006/05/19 18:49:49 UTC

[classlib] testing config (was: Re: svn commit: r407752 - in /incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src: main/java/org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/net/www/protocol/http/HttpURLConnection.java)

Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Hi George
>
> Wasn't that you who strictly opposed logging to stderr ~3-5 months ago?  :)
> As I remember, you said that no one will read that stderr.

I said that (George may have too).

Every test either passes or fails.  We can agree that skipped tests
count as a pass or a fail, but writing stuff into logs or onto the
console is useless -- nobody, especially the build system, will be
reading output to decide if the 'all tests passed' or 'test failures'
outcome was lying.

> I think the tests we have here are kind of needing 'exotic' configuration,
> and they should be separated and not included to the regular pre-commit
> run.

The 'exotic' configurations are those that are external to the system
under test and associated test infrastructure.

AIUI George is proposing embedding Jetty into the test framework.

Regards,
Tim

> 2006/5/19, George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>:
>> Hi Stepan,
>>
>> Yes, there is probably scope for adding some logic to this test method
>> where - in the event of no network connection we write a message to
>> stderr and move on. An alternative is to provide for connections to be
>> opened up against a server on the local machine. A couple of days ago I
>> spent some time adding the small, lightweight (and Apache licensed)
>> Jetty server to the LUNI tests. In my local sandbox the LUNI
>> make/build.xml file the run.tests target was updated to start up Jetty
>> --> run the LUNI tests --> stop Jetty. It worked fine apart from a
>> glitch I had getting the cgi-bin to work properly in Jetty. Apparently
>> this is a fairly common problem when it is used on Windows. I'm starting
>> to feel that it might be best to exclude the one or two cgi-bin related
>> tests in the LUNI tests for now in the interests of bringing Jetty on
>> board. It would certainly help get some more java.net tests up and
>> running and enable this particular test case to run without the need for
>> a network connection. What do you think ?
>>
>> I would, of course, float the Jetty proposal on the dev list first to
>> make sure we were all happy with the suggestion :-)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> George
>>

>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> > Richard, George
>> >
>> > I'm not fan of tests that depend on network connection. Is it
>> > necessary for
>> > this test:
>> >
>> > + public void test_getOutputStream_afterConnection() throws Exception {
>> > +     URLConnection uc = new
>> >
>> URL("http://www.apache.org").openConnection<http://www.apache.org").openconnection/>
>>

>> > ();
>> > +     uc.setDoOutput(true);
>> > +     uc.connect();
>> > +     assertNotNull(uc.getOutputStream());
>> > + }
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Stepan Mishura

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] testing config

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>> Hi George
>>
>> Wasn't that you who strictly opposed logging to stderr ~3-5 months ago?  :)
>> As I remember, you said that no one will read that stderr.
>
> I said that (George may have too).
>
> Every test either passes or fails.  We can agree that skipped tests
> count as a pass or a fail, but writing stuff into logs or onto the
> console is useless -- nobody, especially the build system, will be
> reading output to decide if the 'all tests passed' or 'test failures'
> outcome was lying.

Right - if we find a "failure", then we can go look at test or server
logs...

>> I think the tests we have here are kind of needing 'exotic' configuration,
>> and they should be separated and not included to the regular pre-commit
>> run.
>
> The 'exotic' configurations are those that are external to the system
> under test and associated test infrastructure.
>
> AIUI George is proposing embedding Jetty into the test framework.

+1