Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by El...@lionbridge.com on 2001/11/05 10:47:44 UTC

need some help about Session scope before to code

hi all,
i've seen many discussion about session scope, and i've seen the
adressbook2 sample, so i guess that with this i should be able to code a
session scope application.
what i need is to have some precisions, not to launch myself in a wrong
way.
So please tell me for the following lines if i'm wrong or not : (i'm using
SOAP 2.2 under tomcat to deploy and develop web services with JAVA)

- can we make a scope session where the session is maintained without
cookies ? (i've seen so much mails about cookies that i wonder if it's a
forced step)
- what i want to do is to make 2 permanent sessions to 2 different DB (i
do have a WebService where the server side should at the end : make 2
connections to 2 Lotus Notes DB, keep those 2 connection alive and then
the client side of the WebService will be able to make a query with one of
the 2 session/DB depending on the parameters i pass). Is it possible ? is
it quite "as simple" as adressbook2 sample ? or is there something i
should know before to code it ?

the only WebService i made for the moment are simple request scope
applications with a single request to a Notes DB and results return.
hope you will be able to give me some clues

regards,
Elise

Lionbridge Technologies - France
www.lionbridge.com

Re: need some help about Session scope before to code

Posted by Nicholas Quaine <nq...@soapuser.com>.
Elise,

why not create another servlet (separate from the rpcrouter servlet) which loads when your appserver starts up and makes the "permanent" connections to your database? When your method is invoked you can then call a simple get method on the new servlet's class to get the database connection desired. Or you could even write database access wrapper functions into the new servlet.

A similar approach is taken in my tutorial on server side SOAP : http://www.soapuser.com/server4.html (steps 9, 10 and 11 are the ones to concentrate on)

regards,
Nicholas Quaine

Visit http://www.soapuser.com/