Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2014/01/21 18:03:28 UTC

Keynote idea: Rufus Pollok, Open Knowledge Foundation (was Re: Keynote idea: Revolutionizing Education)

Here's another keynote suggestion along the open education path...

Rufus Pollok of the Open Knowledge Foundation. I've never heard him talk,
although I have sat on a panel with him some 5 years or so ago. He was just
starting up the foundational t this time and was certainly eloquent, well
reasoned and forcefully opinionated. Before the panel started he told me
that he had modeled OKF on the ASF.

OKF campaign for Open Data through both data freedom and the provision of
CKAN an open data platform. To me the OKF doesn't much look like the ASF
today, I'm not sure whether that is by design or through evlution. I think
there may be lessons for our audience here, e.g. why open data is
important, why ASF is/was influential to the OKF etc.

CKAN is very important in the open government space and is increasingly
looking at educational data too.

[FULL DISCLOSURE] someone who used to work for me now works at OKF and a
number of divisions of my employers parent company have engagements with
OKF, but I don't work directly with them.

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Senior Technology Evangelist
Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation