Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/01/23 15:26:49 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/script ant ant.bat antRun antRun.bat lcp.bat runant.pl

At 12:10  24/1/01 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>What is that pain? With the old scripts I have been using junit.jar without
>any problems
>I want to type
>
>build run-tests
>
>and have it run the tests. This doesn't work at the moment.

hmm - will fix this by placing junit in primordial ;(.

fixed.

>> The base build is extremely controlled in what it can
>> acces to avoid miscompiling basically.
>
>Not sure of your point here.

During bootstrapping the classpath is absolutely controlled. No user
interventioned allowed - thus little should stuff it up ;)

>> >The install targets have gone. I used these to promote a build from my
>> >development area into my standard ANT_HOME area. Since I both develop
>and
>> >use ant I want to control over that. In other words ANT_HOME is NOT my
>> >development area. I think being able to install like this is a good
>thing
>> >and is common practice in make based projects (make install, etc)
>>
>> right. The way it should be done now is below and it will install it bu
>> default (minus the docs)
>>
>> build.sh -Ddist.dir=/my/install/dir
>
>This should be, IMHO
>
>build install
>
>This is what it used to be. I don't want to have to remember where I put
>ANT_HOME and have to type it every time. I'm getting old so you need to
>keep things simple for me, Pete.

simple enough to write an alias into ant file then ;) ...done

>If you look at the old build.bat it was implemented by calling bin/ant.bat.
>It was very simple. I did this to reduce the duplication of code between
>build.bat and ant.bat. Your changes mean that build.bat now duplicates a
>large chunk of ant.bat and that is not a good thing, IMHO. If someone makes
>a change in one, they need to remember to change the other.

Right - they had already drifted anyways ;) But I want to replace this with
next stage - basically rip some code out of AntEater to use as boot
strapper. So in the future there will be minimal differences again ;)

>The old build.bat was really about setting up an appropriate value of
>ANT_HOME and the install targets. As a consequence, typing
>
>ant install
>
>would not clobber the currently running version of ant because the install
>target defines were not set.
>

>Anyway, there are some other problems:
>
>build.bat resets the value of ANT_HOME. The old script restored the value.
>I think this is the way to go.

fixed

>Please turn echo back off again :-)

fixed.

>version info seems to have disappeared.

fixed.

>I tried
>build dist -Ddist.dir=%ANT_HOME%
>
>but it blows up with

hmm try updating again. It works for me - what platform? I tested on win32.

Cheers,

Pete

RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/script ant ant.bat antRun antRun.bat lcp.bat runant.pl

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Pete,

OK, but you can't use ant.home since ant.home is set to "." by build.bat.
I'll do some work with it if I get time.

> Right - they had already drifted anyways ;) But I want to replace
> this with
> next stage - basically rip some code out of AntEater to use as boot
> strapper. So in the future there will be minimal differences again ;)

OK, I'll hang out for those changes.

There is another issue. You are using the build classes in the classpath
while you are building them. The old scripts created an ant.jar in lib just
for doing builds. This ant.jar was only touched by the bootstrap process
(not the build process). Writing on classes in the classpath can lead to
undesirable effects. As an extreme example, try

build clean main

> >build dist -Ddist.dir=%ANT_HOME%
> >
> >but it blows up with
>
> hmm try updating again. It works for me - what platform? I tested
> on win32.

Still fails on NT4 for me. I'll investigate further if I have some time.

Thanks for the other changes. The full-dist targets look good. I assume it
was intentional to remove the source from the binary distribution. That
makes sense to me.

Version stuff is a little mixed up but its there

Ant version January 24 2001 compiled on January 24 2001

Conor