Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by oc tsdb <oc...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/29 12:15:07 UTC

restoring old hbase backup in new hbase

Hi,

We are planning to move our cluster from hbase 0.94.14  to 0.98.2.

Our query is -
If we have backup taken(using snapshots) on hbase  0.94.14, can we restore
the same backup on newer version of hbase 0.98.2?

Thanks
oc.tsdb

Re: restoring old hbase backup in new hbase

Posted by Matteo Bertozzi <th...@gmail.com>.
not without a bit of manual work..
since the 96 introduced a change to the fs layout for the namespace
you have to add the extra namespace folder that is missing.

assuming that all snapshots are exported under /my-backup-dir
you have to do something like:
$ mv /my-backup-dir/.archive /my-backup-dir/archive
$ mkdir /my-backup-dir/archive/default
$ mv /my-backup-dir/archive/* /my-backup-dir/archive/default

to rename the "archive" dir and add the "default" namespace dir that will
contains all the table files.

Matteo