Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/16 18:22:24 UTC

discussion on new l10n workflow

Finally I have finished describing the current process, and also combining
all the notes on open issues I could find.

Please have a look at:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/File:L10proc.pdf

and
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO

I hope we can have a discussion on the "open issues", and then I will make
a design document for a changed workflow.

I look forward to hear your opinion, either through wiki or mail. These
comments will be worked into the document.

have a nice day.
jan I

Re: discussion on new l10n workflow

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.

On 19 October 2012 22:33, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 17/10/2012 jan iversen wrote:
>
>> Would it be an idea to have 1 UI file pr directory in main (that would be
>> so easy to implement) and 1 Help file pr directory in helpContent2 ?
>>

> Yes, this might work. Sure the current 276 files are too many, while
> consolidating too much on the other hand is very inconvenient for sharing
> work. What we should preserve is that is someone is the, say, "Calc guy" in
> the, say, Polish team, then he can be given PO (or other format, this is
> irrelevant) files for the Calc UI and the Calc Help. This enables easy and
> safe division of work.

I agree...but I am not sure we can make the files for like calc, if I am
correct the directories in main does not directly relate to a product part,
many of the directories seems to be generic, but I might be wrong ?

My intentions right now is to propose that each directory is a single
translation file and helpcontent2 is split at that level, but there will be
a new file combine.lst, where we can combine several directories into one.
That way we are flexible but it is still easy to develop.

>  also check the letter accellerators (Ca~ncel) I have a
>> very strong suspicion that they are not always identical.
>>

> This is not important. Actually, if I recall correctly we even deprecated
> them at a point. We are not talking about keyboard shortcuts here (e.g.,
> CTRL-S to open a file); we are talking about the, much less common,
> "accelerators", i.e., saving with ALT-F then S. OpenOffice will assign
> these accelerators automatically when they are not set using the "~" in the
> strings, and it makes sense to let OpenOffice assign them, since they are
> not listed in the documentation. Moreover, assigning them manually is very
> error-prone since it often results in conflicts, while automatic
> attribution doesn't.

Should we the consistency checker than make a warning when they are used
(which happens approx. 500 times in the danish files) ??

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

For your information I have found a way of splitting the discussion of a
new l10n workflow from the discussion of file formats. That is I have
succeed (I think) in making a workflow that does not rely on the fileformat.

Jan.

Re: discussion on new l10n workflow

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
An internal "audit" sound like the best (and easiest) way.

It should of course be done by a native speaking person (which rules me
out), should I make a bugzilla issue or is there another task list you
could put it on ?

This person should also check the letter accellerators (Ca~ncel) I have a
very strong suspicion that they are not always identical.

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Andrea:

I just got an idea on how to split the files and keep the number low.

Would it be an idea to have 1 UI file pr directory in main (that would be
so easy to implement) and 1 Help file pr directory in helpContent2 ?

I could in addition have a build instruction in a new l10n directory,
combining some of the directories.

That would be robust and work without change when we get new source
files/directories.

rgds
JanI

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

The biggest problem with .po is that it does not contain a file reference
(the directory structure is a copy of the source structure), I can put the
path in the po file as a comment, but that is not very robust.

The translators will see no difference (apart from changing poEdit for
offline), so their barrier is the same.

Seen purely from a development perspective the time needed is about the
same.

I dont know if it is a valid point, but with xliff we get automatic support
for the status of the translation (to be done, to be reviewed, translated,
integrated...) which might be something we should use in the future (NOT as
a first step).

I have no opinion on 1 or 2 projects, that was in the old
document...logistically it is easier with just one project. However it is
easy to make 1 UI and 1 HELP file, but making like 20 might be more
difficult (which sources go where..).

thanks for your input.
jan

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.
On 17.10.2012 10:05, jan iversen wrote:
> Thanks for your support.
>
> a documentation question: do you find it a good idea to have (as in the
> document) a non-technical round-trip intended for translators etc. and then
> the deep technical round trip, or should I reduce it to just the technical
> part ?

Both parts are very valuable  so I would keep both of them, but not
necessarily on the same page.

> Sorry for not having formulated 9.7 very clearly. It has nothing to do with
> the actual format, but with the content:
> My idea was to check for:
> - Is all messages translated
> - Has existing messages that have changed in the source code also changed
> in the translation
>
> - Is all term like e.x. "Cancel" translated to e.x. "Fortryd" in ALL
> instances (that is today not the case.
> - Is all accellerators identical, if e.g. there is a translation "F~ortryd"
> then that it is a problem it in another file it is "Fo~rtryd"
>
> I hope that makes 9.7 more understandable.

I understand and agree that it would be a good thing to have.  I you can
do that then do that :-)

-Andre

Re: discussion on new l10n workflow

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your support.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 12-10-24, at 16:03 , jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I read more about ApacheCon EU or NA ? I cannot quite follow you
> here (mainly due to terms), is this about getting sponsor money to AOO ?

http://www.apachecon.com/

No. That may be too late. It's about asking via the lists for your work to have a hearing among those present and a discussion if they are willing and able to have that. The reason for this: simply to get the work you are doing the investigation it merits.

> It should be easy to get somebody from EU and others, I could call on the
> NLC to help QA and general testing.

Yes; something like that to promote the workflow reappraisal. We at OOo went through this numerous times but not enough, probably, and it was always layered with corporate expectations, and these rubbed against community interests. (A good case being the RU localization of the early 2000s.)

Best
Louis

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Got it, I did not think of the upcoming meeting.

I think it is too early for that (maybe somebody has opinions??) I would
like to present it, when it is ready to be launched...I dont like to
present "hot air" :-)

But as I understood it there is another conference early next year, that
would be just perfect.

jan.

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jan,

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your kind words.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jan,

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
I have in the meantime understood the request.

Now the document is available under wiki as:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_AOO

and also as pdf.

best of two worlds.

jan